Natural ways of tackling mouth dryness.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Mouth Dryness which is often called xerostomia is an health issue whereby the saliva gland do not produce enough saliva for the mouth.This health issue really happens when one is aging or when one takes some medications.

When this happens it can lead to one having mouth sores, low nutrition for the body which will be due to inability to chew food proerly or swallow it, the victim will suffer from yeast infection which is also called thrush and there will be increased problem of tooth decay,gum infection or plagues. So it is pertinent to deal with this as fast as one can to avoid having these health issues.

The natural remedies that can use to tackle mouh dryness includes:

First thing is to continually sip on water. Take water as much time as possible.

improve on your oral wellbeing. Give your teeth and mouth the care they need.

make do more with sugarless gum and sugarless candies.

Avoid the use of alcohol made mouthwash.

Avoid the use of certain medication if you can and have good alternatives, to avoid making the mouth dry.

Try not to keep breathing through the mouth.

What's your thought on this?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
There are many reasons why people suffer from mouth dryness; some of these are caused by the natural aging process while others result from medical conditions such as Sjogren's Syndrome and Mouth-Breathing Syndrome.

If you suffer from dry mouth, you are not alone. It is estimated that 6 to 15 million people in the United States have chronic dry mouth. If you wake up every morning with a dry mouth, it could be due to medication or medical conditions like Sjögren's syndrome, nerve damage, too much alcohol consumption, gastroesophageal reflux disease and other health problems like I mentioned earlier.

It's no secret that proper hydration helps you avoid a host of oral health problems. Your mouth is naturally moist and saliva provides the perfect balance of beneficial enzymes, proteins, and minerals needed to maintain strong teeth and gums, healthy tissues, and natural odor protection. But as we age, naturally occurring saliva production begins to slow down—it even stops when we sleep. Dry mouth can also be triggered by illness, medications that dry out the mouth and certain medical conditions.

Like I said take enough water, it prevents dehydration, take fruit and avoid medications , alcohol and others stated above that can trigger it.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have noticed that I tend to have a dry mouth when I get nervous. Sometimes sipping water can help but if the tension is great then I am greatly affected because a dry mouth is painful to the throat. But when the tension goes away my mouth is back to normal. There was a time that I had to deliver a short speech in the workshop when my shyness attacked me. I had difficulty in opening my mouth and it was obvious that I was having a hard time in pronouncing the words correctly. When my mouth is very dry my speech is greatly affected. Fortunately the participants in the workshop thought that I was "acting" because the lesson was about making a movie. At least I had escaped that embarrassment otherwise it would be a shame for people to think that I could not say the right words.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I don't experience mouth dryness during the rainy season, it comes in during harmattan period, like the one my country is currently experiencing. I use artificial substance in form of gum to keep my mouth or lips healthy and not dried. I know it isn't the best solution, that's the only little way I can stop the unnecessary mouth dryness. Drinking regular water is an option too, I take lots of water when my mouth is experiencing such. Exercise enables me too to sweat and keep the mouth being fresh instead of dried. Taking natural fruits is an option too that helps improve the mouth or lips when it gets fried up.