For a retailing business, how many suppliers should you have

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In my experience with a retailing business of computer supplies it was fun at first to have only 2 suppliers because we get to choose the lowest price all the time. But sooner than later I realized that we needed another supplier. That was the time that prices of computer supplies were going up. Having 3 suppliers seemed enough again and our business operation went smoothly.

When there was a shortage of supplies due to the importation issues of our 3 suppliers we were forced to source out from other suppliers. Oh, the prices were exorbitant but we had no choice because our customers were waiting for the promised delivery. That was a neat lesson for us to get more suppliers. Now my guiding rate in the number of suppliers for a retailing business is at least 5. As they usually say, the more, the merrier because suppliers should be considered partners in business. Give them the treatment they way you treat your customers.

Mellorando

Banned
It all depends on the kind of product you are dealing on and also it depends on the rate on which your patronizers or customers buy of request for your product, also it depends on the race in which year business goes out of stock in your goods are a demanding one then your suppliers can be as many to satisfy you customers

Samuel72

Verified member
It all depends on the amount of customers you have, as a new starting business you can have just two supplier but as a big organisation, you should have up to 8 or 5 suppliers. suppliers can also help you market your products in new areas where your products is not that popular.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
In my experience with a retailing business of computer supplies it was fun at first to have only 2 suppliers because we get to choose the lowest price all the time. But sooner than later I realized that we needed another supplier. That was the time that prices of computer supplies were going up. Having 3 suppliers seemed enough again and our business operation went smoothly.

When there was a shortage of supplies due to the importation issues of our 3 suppliers we were forced to source out from other suppliers. Oh, the prices were exorbitant but we had no choice because our customers were waiting for the promised delivery. That was a neat lesson for us to get more suppliers. Now my guiding rate in the number of suppliers for a retailing business is at least 5. As they usually say, the more, the merrier because suppliers should be considered partners in business. Give them the treatment they way you treat your customers.
Suppliers should be considered in a retailing business because the more the customer the more the supplies of goods or product.
In a situation where by there is shortage in the goods supply compare to the rate of customers that patronized the business. This may affect the business negatively.