Tips on Starting a Provision Retailing Business

Carpon

Valued Contributor
A retailer is a link in the chain of production and he or she buys goods in medium quantity to sell to final consumers in small bits.
Provisions are items such as imperishable food items among others.
Here are some tips on starting that kind of business

First thing first, you must know what your capital is. Your capital will determine the kind of store you'll open. Whether a very small or relatively big retail store. So, knowing how much you have will determine the way you will start up.

Moreso, you should be able to find a strategic location where the business will flourish. Don't open your shop in a seemingly hidden location but make sure your business will operate in a place people will see you and make sure it is in the reach of almost every one in the community where your business will operate.

Moreso, you should be able to find a vendor which will be your main provider of the items you will be selling.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I don't know how it works but I heard that provision shops are not profitable. I beg to differ though. The thing is that provision shops have very small profit margins and to make a reasonable profit, one has to operate in a location where the population density is thick. This is one business that has to do with turnover and if your turnover is not quick and high, you would end up wasting your time.

Also, another impediment to the provision shop business especially the ones I have seen in Nigeria here is that the owners of these shops also eat from the shoo. They would pick items from the shop to feed themselves and their families. It drains down the shop. I prefer to sell provisions at the level of wholesale than at the level of retail. Those guys that sell at the wholesale level make millions whereas the retailers struggle. We need them anyway. How would we be getting things quickly at home if not for them?

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Provisions are fast selling business though the profit is a bit small but you would still make money as the profit add up quickly. Yes starting the business will need you to determine the kind of store you'll open. Whether a very small or relatively big retail store.

This will help you to know the capital you would need to start one
then you find a strategic location where the business will flourish. it will help the business progress better..The success will be in your hands you just have to be polite to keep the customers coming back to buy from you

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
Provision Retailing is a booming industry, and it's easy to see why. It's a perfect fit for people who are looking to start their own businesses but don't have the time or money to invest in going into business for themselves.

Here are some tips on how you can get started!

1. Find an area where you're passionate about, and then research what kind of products are being sold in that area. You'll want to find out if there are any major retailers who sell similar products and if so, what those retailers' prices are like.

2. Make sure that your product line is competitively priced against other products in its category (and maybe even more competitively priced than some). This will help ensure that customers will buy from you instead of someone else who has cheaper prices, but doesn't have as good quality merchandise or service as you do (which means they'd be wasting their money buying from them).

3. Be sure that your website looks professional and makes sense people should be able to easily navigate through it without getting lost along the way!