Retailing ice cream and frozen treats can be critical with power outage

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The neighbor fronting our house is a retailer of ice cream and frozen treats. During summer business was peaking and the profitability is great. Even now that rainy season had started the neighbor is still experiencing good sales. The market base is our neighborhood so it is always on a pick up basis for the customers.

Last month there was a technical problem with the supply of electricity. I heard that an electric post in our village exploded. We had no electricity for 10 hours. Fortunately our neighbor’s ice cream did not all melt and when the electricity came back the frozen products were back to normal. They are now planning to buy a generator to run the freezer when there is a power outage.

A K Rao

Yes, Diesel generators of some good KVA is very important in maintaining the temperatures in the cold storage. In fact many Governments make it a compulsory to have diesel generators of sufficient KVA to maintain the temperatures in Ice cream parlors, medical shops, and in restaurants too. This ensures the regular power supply in case of power failure!

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Electricity is very important in such kind of business, without electricity it means we are busy kicking around the bush in some business that needs it most, just as this ice cream business you outlined here. Anything that has to do with frozen foods, baking, chilled drinks, ice creams etc, needs electricity to attract customers buying from them.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Anyone that wants to venture into such business must have plans in place in order to generate steady power supply. there are people in some countries that have 24 hour electricity supply and I don't think they are been affected by this but in a case where people who are from countries that don't have steady power supply then going for a very good generator is definitely the best option.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
You are lucky to get light restored in just 10 hours, I wish ours can be that fast. not a situations you can stay weeks without light it can really be appalling and this is a situation you still pay your nepa bill on time. Well, any frozen sale business in my country would only survive on alternate power supply.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I live in a country where outage of electricity is a very common problem and Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) equipment is not powerful enough to supply power to refrigerators and this is why many shop keepers have to rely on electricity generators and this actually increases the cost due to the fact that you have to use petrol to run generators. The cost of petrol is the main problem because it is too expensive in my country.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
I think when even planning on launching the business you should already have someone that would be monitoring the work for you if you are not around , and also a working generator that would not easily off just like that , so that the icecream and others you are actually preparing would not just melt and waste just like that

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Ice cream is not a bad business, it's a good one. It's a business that should be situated where there are people or where people converge. But the downside, is that it ought to be done where there's always power supply. Without excess power supply, running this kind of business will be a shortage. In my country
you can't run this kind of business without having a standby generator.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Ice cream is not a bad business, it's a good one. It's a business that should be situated where there are people or where people converge. But the downside, is that it ought to be done where there's always power supply. Without excess power supply, running this kind of business will be a shortage. In my country
you can't run this kind of business without having a standby generator.
Yeah there needs to be a very good power supply ,because most times it melts and not suitable for consumption if its not refigerated and this is more reason such technology needs to be created so as to preserve the icecream to a very nice taste to suit the consumer demand to some extent i think

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Yeah there needs to be a very good power supply ,because most times it melts and not suitable for consumption if its not refigerated and this is more reason such technology needs to be created so as to preserve the icecream to a very nice taste to suit the consumer demand to some extent i think
Seriously, I live in a country where this could have been a good business to invest upon but the epileptic power supply troubling my country, makes this a bad business for me. Only those who have enough capital to invest in it, who has the capital potential to buy plant, can really make it in the business.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Seriously, I live in a country where this could have been a good business to invest upon but the epileptic power supply troubling my country, makes this a bad business for me. Only those who have enough capital to invest in it, who has the capital potential to buy plant, can really make it in the business.
Yeah exactly those who have enough capital are the one more capable of making more money with the business , because the machinery and other items the person would use to launch the business would really cost a lot of money ,so these are certain things intersted individuals should consider at first before indulging into the business

Setho

VIP Contributor
Even outside of raining seasons the ice cream and cold drinks business is the hot cake around here. If you want to succeed in this kind of business then you should get your customer support very spot on because you're definitely going to face a lot of competition from other people's brands. I am available any on that you're going to succeed even better if you should sell the ice cream together with snacks.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
The business is not that rampant in my country. But with the nature of the business, electricity is the most crucial material that is needed. When ice cream melts,, it becomes watery and losses taste and lacks patronage. That's why there must be constant supply of electricity to boost the profitability of this business.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Even outside of raining seasons the ice cream and cold drinks business is the hot cake around here. If you want to succeed in this kind of business then you should get your customer support very spot on because you're definitely going to face a lot of competition from other people's brands. I am available any on that you're going to succeed even better if you should sell the ice cream together with snacks.
People that are interested in buying snacks would be really happy to see ice cream and drinks in your store and they could get something to mix it with , so it's very good if someone adopt that method of mixing the sale of ice cream and snacks together it will work well for the person

Mika

VIP Contributor
Maybe you can create a power backup. In my town, people use backup power supplies with inverters. Power outage is a problem here, so a lot of businesses use inverters to have power backup. This is also cost-effective compared to power generators. Solar panels can also be a good solution to power outage.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Power outage can be a great problem when your business is entirely depended on electricity. One or two hours of power outage may not create any problems if you are selling frozen foods or ice creams because freezers can work 1-2 hours even when there is no power. However, when there is power outage for many hours, it can be a problem. Maybe you can install inverters or power generators to give electricity back up.