Operating a small business of rice retailing is an easy work

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
On my way walking to the market I passed by a rice retailer. The attendant is a familiar face so I greeted her. The business is just fine, she said, because the customers are regular. She sells the rice packed in 2 kilos and 5 kilos. Her daily sales on the average is 200 kilos with the markup of 10 cents per kilo. It is easy to compute that the daily revenue is $20 which is good for a small business.

Rice is a staple here and a family of 5 can consume a kilo of rice every day. If the market base is 200 customers then that is 200 kilos of consumption per day. When there is an occasion the sales would shoot up. The advantage of a small business is the simple operation that they buy and they sell. Customers don’t fall in line because the product is already packed depending on the needs.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
You are very correct about rice. If i am not wrong, rice is number one food for every family. This is because it can be made in different style. This has contributed to its sale. I have once asked a rice seller to put me through on how rice business is done. Her answer discouraged me, she told me I can only be making good money from it if I engage in smuggling of rice from foreign countries.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well, when it comes to small businesses it is a lot easy to always to handle things because you can be top of things because the business is small. But one still has to watch it to avoid unnecessary risks. All the same it is always good to get familiar with a business before indulging it

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Rice is a staple food in my country too. I do not think that there is a family who do not consume at least a cup of rice in a day. Here we measure rice with tin cup at the retail shop, we do not measure it in kilos. Rice business is a very lucrative business but here people prefer eating foreign rice to the locally made ones

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Food is a necessity, I don't think any one has ever engaged in selling the necessity like foods, and be at the right location and lost. Especially, if you engaged in selling rice. Rice in my country, is the most common food that people eat almost every day. I have taken rice myself today lol. If you engage in it, you just have to make sure, you have a market for it. Market is the major thing in business, if you already have where to sell them, then happy earning for you.

Good luck

Verified member
Rice business is not a bad idea of business in this country,it is just that our custom officials are not helping matter.they collect huge amount of money to clear rice and it will definitely have a good effect on the masses which I see very wrong. The custom officials should be considerate and reduce their customs duty for easy access.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I believe that such kind of business is good but only if you have a lot of regular customers who purchase rice on daily basis. There are many such kind of sellers in my city that sell such kind of goods at low rates. For example, some people sell flour at much lower rates and they even sell goods to retailers at a much lower price. It all depends on the number of customers and your marketing techniques.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
If I am not wrong I think rice is the most consumed food in the whole wide world. in my country here a lot of people consumer buys and the business is very lucrative but most of the people that sells it mainly deal on 50 kg and in some cases 25 kg. There are also some people who deal on smaller kilos like 5 or 10 but those ones are not that popular. 50kg is about $75-$80.

Josemendez

Verified member
Rice selling is a good business because it is something that people will always demand . And whether the person is in a rural area or nothing he will always have people to sell to.
Secondly it is not perishable foodstuff so there is no need to fear that it will spoil.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you live in an area where rice is a staple food, you can actually sell a lot of rice and make money. If rice is a staple food in your area, you can also try selling rice substitutes for those who cannot eat rice due to dabetic conditions or weight issue. YOu can sell all sorts of rice like white rice, brown rice, black rice, red rice, etc.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
In my country rice is a popular demand food in which most family can not do without for just three days .
so rice is a lucrative business in my country in which if some one can get a good location and start the business it will surely work well and good profit will be realised.

Setho

VIP Contributor
I have actually been in rice retailing business before and in as much as it is a profitable business the biggest challenge that you were made is actually having a reliable supply stock. There are so many species of rice around here so sometimes customers might generally be angry that you are not being able to keep up with the consistency of the species you are selling.