Tips on how to lose weight

Icon

Losing weight in general is hard, but dropping belly fat in particular can feel insurmountable. It’s not all in your head: “It’s essentially impossible to tell one specific region of your body to accelerate fat metabolism,” says a NASM-certified personal trainer and author of

Still, it’s a worthy goal to lose belly fat because it’s “unfortunately the most dangerous location to store fat,” says chair of the department of nutrition and food studies at George Mason University and associate professor of health, behavior & society at Johns Hopkins University. Because belly fat—also known as visceral fat, or the deep abdominal fat that surrounds your organs—is more temporary, it circulates throughout the bloodstream more regularly and is therefore likelier to raise the amount of fat in your blood, increasing your blood sugar levels and putting you at a greater risk

RELATED STORY
Okay, you get the point: belly fat = bad. how do you lose it? You have to think beyond crunches and and adopt a well-rounded approach. “It’s got to be more losing fat as a whole,” agrees a certified personal trainer at the American Council on Exercise (ACE). Without further ado, here are the best ways to lose belly fat once and for all.

This content is imported from {embed-name}. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

1. Accept that your behaviors will adjust.​

A big part of weight loss is simply being aware of the decisions you’re making. For example, when out at happy hour with friends, you may lose track of how much you're eating or drinking. But if you take a split second to step back and become aware of that fact, you’re able to course correct. “The awareness and then planning for what else I can be doing, that might give me the same benefit of eating comfort foods,” says Gagliardi.

2. Track your calories.

The most basic approach to weight loss is burning more calories than you consume. For instance, since 3,500 calories equals one pound of fat, a or even just a pen and paper—can help you decide how many calories you need to cut from your diet or burn at the gym in order to meet your goals. “If you were to burn 500 more calories per day seven days a week, that would lead to 3,500 calories in a week and one pound of weight loss,” says Gagliardi.

BEAT BELLY FAT

If you're not up for crunching numbers every day, you can take a more generalized approach. “For some people, it’s knowing, ‘Typically I eat a whole sandwich,’” says Gagliardi. “Now, I’m going to eat half a sandwich at lunch and save the other half for my dinner and cut my calories in half." To get started, consider these

3. Eat more fiber.​

Foods that are high in refined carbs and sugar don’t actually tame your hunger, so you end up reaching for more. Instead, eat more fibrous foods like whole grain breads, oats, vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, and chia seeds. “They fill you up more,” says Dr. Cheskin, as fiber helps slow your digestion.

published in The Journal of Exercise Nutrition & Biochemistry found that obese women who did a walking program for 50 to 70 minutes three days per week for 12 weeks significantly slashed their visceral fat compared to a sedentary control group.lk Your Way to Better Health
Preventionhearstproducts.com

“Even if your starting point is a one-minute walk, if that’s more than what you’ve been doing, there’s to that,” says Gagliardi. One of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to lose weight is that they try to do too much too soon and get burnt out.

“Starting slow and working your way up is better than overdoing it and giving up,” says Gagliardi. An easy way to approach it: Commit to going for a quick, 10-minute walk after dinner, and slowly increase the time as you become more comfortable with daily movement.

5. Begin strength training.​

It’s important to do if you want to lose belly fat—especially if you’re trying to keep it off for the long haul. “Strength training should be a part of just about everybody’s exercise plan,” says Dr. Cheskin. That’s because strength training helps you build muscle, which will replace body fat. And because muscle is metabolically active, you'll continue to burn calories after working out, thereby, reducing overall body fat. Bonus: When your becomes faster due to muscle growth, you’ll have a little more wiggle room in your diet if that’s something you struggle with, says Dr. Cheskin