Does having a partner affect my finances

Carpon

Valued Contributor
A partner in this context could be a wife or husband, a girlfriend or a boyfriend and so on.
Now the question is that does having such a partner impact the finances of an individual?

In my personal opinion, I think that yes, having such a kind of partner plays infact, a huge role in the life and finance of an individual, how?

Now when you have a partner, the kind of relationship which exists between you will certainly be a romantic one and in that kind of relationship, there is a lot of gifting and exchange of items. You will be obligated to spend on your partner and as a husband, you are laden with the burden and task of taking care of the needs of your spouse. This is like doubling your expenses and indeed this will be having a very huge impact on your finances.

There are many other ways that a relationship of this sort affects finances. I'd love to hear your views on this.
NB am not saying it is bad but we are just analysing the facts.

Finger Geek

Verified member
Having a partner can affect our finances in two ways which are the positive or negative ways. A partner can affect our finances in a negative way if the person is a kind of person that is too demanding and is a kind of person that don't care much about us but all he care about is money, then there can be problem I the finance of the guy. But at the same time we are different from each other. Like for me, if a lady is someone that is too demanding, I will leave that person because I would have know that there is no future with the person.

But if the lady is not someone that is demanding and has her own job, it will be good for the guy as the spending of the guy will reduce unlike the one with no job that the guy will be the only one to buy everything that is needed.

Etini

Valued Contributor
It depends on the kind of partner that you have. Some partners end up being a boost to a person's financial life. Others end up being a pest. I know of a man who just got married and his financial life improved rapidly. His wife is a strong hustler and she is able to support him.

On the other way round, having a partner comes with responsibilities. Maybe this might affect your finances. But it still depends. My take is that as a financially conscious person, you should consider the financial life of a person before choosing a partner. I am not saying you should prioritize money as a criterion. What I am saying is that you should consider the person's mindset about money. Is he/she extravagant? Does this person prioritize budgeted spending, does this person have what it takes to make money? All these are very important if you want to continue improving your finances with a partner in your life.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Having a partner does affect your finances for sure. As you said, in a relationship, there is a lot of gifting, travelling and helping each other out financially. So you may not use your money like you did while you were single.

That is why in your financial planning, you need to put in the partner factor in it. You need to be aware that at some point, you may need to buy him/her a gift, pay for dinner date or contributing to a couple tour.

There are some relationships that could be financially exploitative too, you need to be careful about this. There are situations where you find that one partner is contributing more financially than the other. Like the other person becomes a "parasite" even when they are making their own money too.

When living together as a couple, there is need to budget so you may be financially stable as a couple. Then both of you need to decide how much you will contribute.

Shaf

Verified member
In this era, having a partner in a relationship or marriage comes with financial responsibilities. One way or the other, you will have to spend some money on the other person.

The most common situation this happens is birthdays. Getting gifts and preparing parties can be money consuming.

That said, if the state of your finances is something you plan carefully and are concerned about, you should involve your partner, or at least let him/her know your taste and concerns. There should be mutual understanding and acceptance of each other's conditions. For example, an extravagant person would expect you to do the same. You should make it clear if you don't do things that way that this is your principle.

A lot of people do not define such boundaries early. Once married and with kids, it becomes a serious issue that cam even lead to the end of the relationship. This is a topic you should also approach gently. Many people are very protective of their money. Plan and budget together and settle issues before you start spending.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
In my opinion, having a partner really affects your finances because the expenses are double. You cannot avoid it.Nevertheless, it is wonderful to have a partner because it is not good to be alone. So, I believe that it is better to have a partner than being alone despite the expenses.