What is constipation?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Constipation means delay in evacuation of the bowels. It is important that normal bowel habit varies considerably from person to person.

CAUSES OF CONSTIPATION

(a)Habit. If the normal desire to have the bowels open (call to stool) is ignored for social reasons then the normal defecatory reflex evoked by the presence of faeces in the rectum, is gradually lost. The stool becomes hard and dry due to water absorption. This type of constipation is a particular problem in the elderly. Chronic constipation results in loss of muscle tone in the rectum and causes difficult or incomplete evacuation of the bowels which aggravates the condition.
(b) Diets low in fibre cause slow intestinal transit and the formation of small hard stool.
(C)Local causes
(I) Anal conditions. Painful anal conditions such as anal fissure or strangulated hemorrhoids will result in constipation. It is difficult to know whether hemorrhoids cause or are caused by constipation.
(ii) Any disease causing obstruction to the bowel especially the large bowel,will cause constipation.

TREATMENT

The treatment of constipation is that of the cause. Usually,habit constipation responds to phosphate or soap and water enemas. In milder cases purgatives either as suppository or by mouth,may suffice . However if purgatives such as senokot or milpae are tried their use should be discontinued as soon as possible as purgative abuse may cause constipation in the long term. Once constipation has been relieved, the institution of high fibre diet,possibly with the addition of dietary bulking agent such as normacol or fibogel,will help to prevent recurrence. In the elderly or demented patients, chronic constipation may be a very difficult problem.

Even though your health terminologies is way above my reasoning I got some positive when it comes to the dangers of constipation and how to remedy constipation. It is a deficiency in the bowel side of a human that causes delay in evacuation.

Their are so many health challenges to man, that's why we need seek doctor's attention when we are feeling discomfort.

Constipation means delay in evacuation of the bowels. It is important that normal bowel habit varies considerably from person to person.

CAUSES OF CONSTIPATION

(a)Habit. If the normal desire to have the bowels open (call to stool) is ignored for social reasons then the normal defecatory reflex evoked by the presence of faeces in the rectum, is gradually lost. The stool becomes hard and dry due to water absorption. This type of constipation is a particular problem in the elderly. Chronic constipation results in loss of muscle tone in the rectum and causes difficult or incomplete evacuation of the bowels which aggravates the condition.
(b) Diets low in fibre cause slow intestinal transit and the formation of small hard stool.
(C)Local causes
(I) Anal conditions. Painful anal conditions such as anal fissure or strangulated hemorrhoids will result in constipation. It is difficult to know whether hemorrhoids cause or are caused by constipation.
(ii) Any disease causing obstruction to the bowel especially the large bowel,will cause constipation.

TREATMENT

The treatment of constipation is that of the cause. Usually,habit constipation responds to phosphate or soap and water enemas. In milder cases purgatives either as suppository or by mouth,may suffice . However if purgatives such as senokot or milpae are tried their use should be discontinued as soon as possible as purgative abuse may cause constipation in the long term. Once constipation has been relieved, the institution of high fibre diet,possibly with the addition of dietary bulking agent such as normacol or fibogel,will help to prevent recurrence. In the elderly or demented patients, chronic constipation may be a very difficult problem.
Oh my Gosh ! don't recall that problem called constipation. It is the bad to bad problem I have ever felt. In my childhood I had that one mny times and mom used to give me some home remedies. But I really say it is very bad feeling when you are going under that problem. Stomach is not in the rest position and even your mind is also upset.

This topic reminds me of my mother would usually spend half an hour in the toilet. She was always constipated and even the treatment of pills did not work. After some years she was diagnosed of colon cancer. We do not know if the cancer is the effect of constipation or if the constipation was caused by the cancer that we didn't know then.

I do not have any issue with my bowel because I eat a high-fiber diet, drink a lot of water, and also include a lot of raw food in my diet. If your food consists of simple sugar (pasta or rice for example), you are likely to suffer from constipation. If you are eating a lot of junk food that is devoid of dietery fiber, you will have constipation.