General insurance Are you a farmer? Get Crop Insurance

Mika

VIP Contributor
Insurance companies provide coverage for the harvest. They will estimate the financial value of your mango fruits (not the tree). You will then have to pay the premium, If you cannot harvest your fruits due to some natural disaster, the insurance company will provide coverage for the estimated price of your fruits.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I do not know how it goes in other countries, however, in my home country, the government encourages farmers to insure their crops. The government even subsidizes the premiums, you all only need to pay a 25 percent premium, the government will pay the remaining 75 percent of your premium.
This doesn't work in my country. The framers arenjt well catered for and treated nicely. Except in some cases and some farmers from a particular region of the country. This has made many people to leave farming and making things get costly.. I wish my government also can borrow a leaf from yours

Abigael

Valued Contributor
This is my first time learning about the crop insurance policy and you have put it so well. Indeed it is a great thing to do as Emergencies are bound to happen anytime. With your crop insured, you can relax and not fear the so much loss that climate change, pests and crop diseases can bring.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
That is ideal for farmers going into insurance of this kind, especially where insects, animals, natural disasters comes in and damage our crops unexpectedly. Here in my locality we suffer frequent crop damages due to some fulanis taking their cows into our farmland destroying our crops with their cows without our notice. Such kind of scenario is overlooked by the govt, and it's a way of getting it covered in case it occurs.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I am not a farmer, but I strongly believe a farmer should insure his crops as well as cattle. Well, you might be thinking that of nothing happens to your crop or animals during the insured period, your money will be lost. However, you should always think "what if bad things happen?"

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I think this type of insurance is very good for farmers and they can easily be sure that they will not lose their money in any farming season. there are some circumstances that will lead to farmer's crops to be damaged by pests and such cases where by the have insurance they can easily cover their losses.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I hope farmers and those that want to get into farming gets to read this. It is a good opportunity to farm without fear of losing and not being able to forge ahead.having an insurance cover will really help to put things right even when there are losses and risks encountered

Nite

Valued Contributor
Crop insurance is good for any type of agricultural producer, including farmers, ranchers, etc, for the protection of their crops against some natural disaster, or revenue loss due to price declines in the agricultural commodities. Crop insurance acts kind of like a tool for farmers, so that they can handle their yield and price risks.

Phabbyfundz

With all the importance of a good insurance policy I think everyone shouldn't turn a blind eye to vast benefits of insurance. As a farmer, or an engineer, an entrepreneur or a business wgobwsnt to see his business,profession or trade get the required backups during a time of crises or uncertain events should not hesitate to purchase a good insurance policy for that business or even trade as the case may be .

sincerem

VIP Contributor
That's exactly what some farmers don't know. I see lots of the farmers here in my vicinity who complains of cow destroying their plants, or insects eating up their crops unknowingly after investing whole lots of funds to get them planted it simply go in tatters. With insurance for crops that's a cover for them.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you are a farmer, it makes sense to insure your crop. Let me explain.

You planted rice, you are expecting a good harvest. However, unfortunately, it rains hailstone and your crop is destroyed. While hailstone is a natural phenomenon, so there is no way you can stop or predict hailstone, you can insure your crop and recover from financial loss.

In order to insure your crop, you will have to first apply to the insurance company that provides crop insurance (not all insurance companies have this offer). Someone from the company will come to your farm and assess the potential value of your crop. You then pay the premium and insure your crop. If there is no damage to your crop, the insurance company keeps your premium, but in case the crop is destroyed, the company will provide financial assistance as agreed on the policy document.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have not heard of a crop insurance here but maybe there is in the rural areas. That is a good insurance policy if it can cover the calamities particularly the weather disturbances like the storms and typhoons. Our mango tree was felled in 2014 by a typhoon. We were able to prop it up. Last year (2020) it was felled again by another typhoon. It was uprooted. If it was insured I wonder how the insurance would pay me.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I do not know how it goes in other countries, however, in my home country, the government encourages farmers to insure their crops. The government even subsidizes the premiums, you all only need to pay a 25 percent premium, the government will pay the remaining 75 percent of your premium.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
Yeah crop insurance seems to be the best for farmers ,most farmers worries more because the crop the are cultivating are mostly affected by different insect of any kind , flood and so many other things , so they have to find how they would be able to insure against such

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Well I can say insurance generally gets it all covered truly. I never knew there was any kind of insurance that covers farmers, not to talk of crop specifically. I must confess this is going to be a great help and support for the farmers out there and I will advise any farmer to give it a try.

Good luck

Verified member
It is a good idea if it is possible to get crop insurance.It will enable farmers to fall back to something if anything happens to their farm or probably when there is a fire outbreak from a naked electricity and it affects the farm unknown.the insurance company will be able to stand for such farmers and he will get money from such policy.

Jamoflondon

Verified member
Truth be told, I never believed insurance also got farmers covered. If you live in nigeria or you have a farming business in Nigeria I would advise you to go for this kind of insurance because it is very important due to the present state of insurgence in Nigeria and this is really affecting the farmers.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
This insurance package is very fascinating and it offers a lot of protection over the crop planted in the farmland. The only issue for the Farmer is if they are unable to pay their premium regularly they might not have access to the full function of the loan they are subscribing to when matter arises.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This is commendable especially if all insurance companies can be doing it. But I doubt if this is available in all insurance companies. Farmers are prone to more risks while farming. If not too much rain, it may be destruction as a result of pest and diseases. All these make it a necessary plan to insure.