What kind of job offer can an economist get?

Good luck

Verified member
To a lay man economics deals with demand and supply of goods and services . It also deals with buying and selling of commodities in various forms.

More so, economics has as to do with managing and financing businesses.
But as a graduate of economics, who has gone through a lot of rigorous training and learning in the higher institution of learning, I discovered that economics is not being needed in the labour market, I really don't know why the situation is like that in my country (Nigeria).

What can someone who studied economics in the university really do and where can such a person work? Many at times, they are being offered to work in the school as teachers. So that why I brought this topic up to be discussed in this platform to know the possible solution to this menace which has become a norm in our dear country.

Please your quick response will be much appreciated. Thanks you.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Economics is quite a very good course of study for any student. I really wanted to study economics but I changed my mind along the way to study engineering. I think there are so many places you can work as an economist. You can work in financial institutions and of course you can also work in government parastatals. you also need to further your skill because becoming an economics graduate alone may not guarantee you a well-paying job.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Immediately I saw your post I thought of the teaching world, it shouldn’t be about teaching in high school , how about teaching on the college as a lecturer. You can try the banking sector too if you would be employed there as well. If you can get the needed connection you can work as an adviser to the government

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Immediately I saw your post I thought of the teaching world, it shouldn’t be about teaching in high school , how about teaching on the college as a lecturer. You can try the banking sector too if you would be employed there as well. If you can get the needed connection you can work as an adviser to the government
You know that here in our country an economist can work anywhere, even becoming a farmer, or working in the oil company, being a manager, and also a politician, a rigger and so on. We don't have any specific department for any career choice, you can work anywhere you find yourself at that moment.

Good luck

Verified member
I quite agree with your submission as you rightly said if one has the right connection which is quite difficult to get in this our country called Nigeria and you know in banking sector,they will always lay emphasis on age which makes it difficult for a lot of people to get Job there.They will even asked you to get an ICAN certified.

Good luck

Verified member
Economics is quite a very good course of study for any student. I really wanted to study economics but I changed my mind along the way to study engineering. I think there are so many places you can work as an economist. You can work in financial institutions and of course you can also work in government parastatals. you also need to further your skill because becoming an economics graduate alone may not guarantee you a well-paying job.
That is the point furthering your skills in terms of acquiring other more academic qualifications which is probably having ICAN,or other professional qualifications which may be a better additional advantage.

funmi

Verified member
In our dear country Nigeria, even if you are a professional in your course of study, if there is no good connection for you, it may not work out well for you. Getting a job is very hard here in Nigeria. As far as am concerned, I prefer to learn more and earn more useful certificate in case there is need for it one day. Many people who I know that studied economics are doing teaching jobs except the lecturers.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I quite agree with your submission as you rightly said if one has the right connection which is quite difficult to get in this our country called Nigeria and you know in banking sector,they will always lay emphasis on age which makes it difficult for a lot of people to get Job there.They will even asked you to get an ICAN certified.
Well, there is the reality on ground now, you must have the right connection to be able to get a job that you naturally eligible for. Sometimes I just wonder how we got here and this has made going to school looks worthless. Yeah banks would want to employ people with certifications

Augusta

VIP Contributor
You know that here in our country an economist can work anywhere, even becoming a farmer, or working in the oil company, being a manager, and also a politician, a rigger and so on. We don't have any specific department for any career choice, you can work anywhere you find yourself at that moment.
It unfortunate that things are turning out this way, it shouldn’t be. How can a trained accountant turned a farmer what would those that studied agriculture be. It just that those in authority has made a whole lot mess of the system. Sometimes you just need a connection, nobody cares about your area of specialization

sincerem

VIP Contributor
It unfortunate that things are turning out this way, it shouldn’t be. How can a trained accountant turned a farmer what would those that studied agriculture be. It just that those in authority has made a whole lot mess of the system. Sometimes you just need a connection, nobody cares about your area of specialization.
Its good you understood how the system works here, no one cares about what you specialized on. Unless you got connection, and you're connected to a better paying gig as a graduate in that field of study. If not the certificate and knowledge as an accountant might be diverted to a mere farmer or something that isn't worth it, paying peanuts, like teaching in the mini private education institution.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When my youngest cousin took an economics course in the university I was against it. My cousin is an honor student and I would love for him to be a lawyer or maybe an engineer. Now he is teaching in an elite university after office hours in ADB (Asian Development Bank) where he earns a high salary as a consultant.