What do you look for in a co-founder?

King bell

VIP Contributor
It is hard to imagine what goes through the mind of a potential co-founder. We want to build a new company and we know that it takes more than just one person who has the same vision in order to succeed. In this article, we will discuss how companies can find the right partner and how they can look for strengths in their team before embarking on their journey.

But most importantly, let's talk about what not to do when looking for a co-founder.

1. "I want to co-found a company with someone who is my age or younger."

While the desire to team up with a young mind or even a baby (yes, I said it) seems attractive, this may not be the best idea. In fact you might end up regretting this decision when your "baby" turns out to be an adult in 3 years. So how old do you want them to be? Why? Because that's what they are likely to become? If you think this way, I can tell you right now that finding the right co-founder might take more time than you think.

2. "I want someone who is a developer. I don't want to build a product myself."

Think about why you don't want to build a product. Could it be that you just can't be bothered? If this is the case, then maybe a co-founder is not for you. If you really want to start a company and launch your idea, but still haven't built your MVP then we suggest that you do it on your own. But what if you are just lazy? Then there is hope! In fact, having someone who can code and knows how to launch an MVP will definitely save time in the long run.

3. "I want to find someone who is good at communication… because I am not."

Again, think about why you are not good at communicating. Unfortunately, being a CEO does not mean you will have the time to get better at communicating. In fact, it may mean that you will have less time for everything else – especially if you work on your own. And if chit-chatting is just not in your DNA then maybe this is something you need to work on by yourself. At the end of the day however, getting better at communication and connecting with others can be helpful in any environment (including real life).