TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Owning and running a poultry farm or a poultry business is considered to be profitable and lucrative, especially when some of the key factors that determine its profitability and its ability to reach higher heights are made available and putted into proper consideration . Some of the major factors that determine the potentials of a poultry business to be profitable is how large the scale of the poultry business or farm is and also its nearness to the market . Poultry businesses that are established in large-scale tends to be more profitable than those established in low or small scale . And although poultry businesses is a business that should be done in isolation , yet it should be near to the market where it patronizers, buyers, and consumers, are. For example : It should be near or closed to eateries, fast food outlet, hotels, restaurants, roasted chicken spots etc.. So as to be easily recognized and earn or get patronage.

Firstly , the lack of governmental support is one of the major challenges and problem poultry business owner faces. Modernized poultry business farms tend to be more lucrative , faster and profitable in carrying out poultry and other poultry-related activities and practices , than other manual activity poultry business farms . The government can give out or issue out poultry farm funds to poultry business owners to modernize their business .

Secondly the problem of disease outbreak is another factor or problem faced by poultry business owners . Some poultry business owners endeavor to make their poultry farm clean and free from every bacteria , infections , and disease that could affect the reared poultry birds . But sometimes it is not entirely their fault that the poultry birds become sick and die , sometimes it is as a result of the weather condition, not favorable and suitable for the health of the reared poultry birds.

Thirdly the problem of the high cost of poultry bird food is also another factor that poultry business owners have to face . In Nigeria a portable bag of poultry birds feed is between the price of 20000 Naira to 25,000 Naira , which is in all ramification very high , burdensome , and cumbersome .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasz

VIP Contributor
As a poultry farmer, you have a lot on your plate.

You're juggling the feeding and rearing of all of your chickens, and finding enough space to house them without needlessly wasting resources that could be better used elsewhere. Additionally, many of your competitors seem to be using technological tools to make their lives easier by streamlining some of their processes, but it's tough to know which ones are best for you.

You need a way to manage the allocation of space efficiently, so that you're not wasting valuable resources like feed or energy on spaces that would be more productive filled with more chickens.

You've been meaning to hire someone to help out with administrative tasks, but are worried about how much that will cost. You know that there are plenty of software programs out there, but have found them hard to use—and when you ask for help from their customer service team, you get someone reading off a script who doesn't seem to understand what you're asking.

Worst of all, you're starting to feel like your business is totally out-of-control. You haven't even had time for a vacation in years—not even a quick weekend trip!

Austinaldo

Personally I think the poultry industry is undervalued. It needs more improvement and government attention. Poultry in itself is an important part of agriculture. We need more hands and more technological advancement in the industry.

Yes, you're right. Governments needs to invest heavily in poultry. People generally consume way much poultry products and I feel the industry hasn't been harnessed to the highest. I suspect this is a deliberate act by the government though: with the news of lab meats being produced and sold across the world. I can't seem to understand how this is not talked about enough.

Lab meats aren't the best for consumption and I strongly believe that they should not be made. There are more healthy ways to grow food, one of them which will be to support farmers with the needed resources to do so. Governments should empower farmers with sophisticated machines, research works and funds. Easy transportation should be provided for. Feeds should be produced and subcidiced by the government. These are the little things that will enhance agriculture generally. We need agriculture to thrive to fight the outrageous food crisis we are facing around the world. Food is an important necessity. No one deserves poorly made food. We can be better!

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
I don't really see this as a business that will need government support because it is the type of business that can be done by a single individual who has just save his or her personal income to raise a capital to start up the business and it is not something that will needs a huge capital like a real estate investment that you have to invest with millions of naira but it's something that can be start with as low as $200 over here . From there if the business is really profitable you can grow the business to the standard you expected the business to be.

Even if the government have to give you the needed money to start up this business you may not likely be able to start of this business if you do not really understand how the business work or how to manage poultry business because the business might seems easy but if proper care is not taken , it might lead to the death of thousands of chicken .

Proper understanding of how to do this business to me is likely to be the only problem that is involved in establishing a poultry farming business here .

Setho

VIP Contributor
Poultry farming has remained one of the most good ways of investing in agriculture because its products such as chicken and meat is being consumed by a wide variety of people . They also usually encounter some kind of challenges .

People who are into poultry farm have their own major problem as the outbreak of diseases especially during an epidemic. Since the birds are usually get in the same place any kind of infection is going to contaminate virtually all of them within the shortest possible time and you might even lose all of them . One of the ways of avoiding this is by early detection and also by vaccinating them immediately when you buy them .

There are also some farmers that do not have a very good supply chain because a lot of people who consume eggs are usually household and companies that consume in little quantity . This means that the company will sometimes keep their products for long and keep on feeding the animals without having people who are going to buy .

There is also inconsistent government policies all the time that usually make the prices of producing the products to be expensive at the expense of the farmers.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
There was a time I engages in poultry farming sometimes ago , but then we didn't understand much about the business , I was just thinking that is something we will just have to buy those chicks and start feeding but little did we know that so many things are to be put into consideration , like we have to know when to give them drugs and also went to do so many other things.

Because of our lack of understanding , me and my sister have to concentrate on the feeding , suddenly they start developing disease and infection and just within a short period of time the chicken started dying. The time of developing infection and the time they started dying was not even up to two days. Before we could understand , almost 50 out of 100 chicken were gone. This is one of the most unsuccessful business I have ever participated on.

For me I believe high mortality rate is the only challenge a lot of people are facing in this area of business.

CALVINDOL

VIP Contributor
First of all I want to emphasize on the fact that the establishment of a poultry farm is definitely very profitable but the ability for a poultry business to be profitable totally depends on how the individual who manage it's absolutely conduct the operation and controlling of the poultry business . To effectively control a poultry business the business owner in particular was have the requisite experience and ability to do so that is why it is advised that you always accommodate some skills in some areas before trying to implement it .

One of the common problems absolutely faced by poultry business owners is the fact of seasonal disease on the poultry birds and it is a kind of problem that is beyond the hands of the poultry business owners but to some extent this could be controlled . It is absolutely and obviously saying that during raining season majority of poultry birds die due to disease accompanied by the cold weather during the raining season but one of the best way to make sure that your poultry birds to not get attacked possibly to some extent is by the sanitizing of the environment possibly with chemicals and other disease repellent . I didn't some few drugs to their food to keep them in good shape will absolutely go a long way to preserve some of the poultry birds from dying .