Learn a skill or go to the university?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
After secondary education, it is observed that not all students further their studies by going to the university. A percentage of them resort to learning some skills which they believe would be more valuable to their them in the future. They tend to focus on learning what would make them to become financially independent In the future without having to go about the streets from office to office trying so hard to secure a well paying job in order to fend for themselves and their family members.
A lot of them turn out to be rich people in the future because they were able to master the basics of the business or skills they learnt so they do not find it hard fitting into the business environment.

Do you think it is advisable for someone to abandone university education because they want to learn a skill or you would rather advise them to graduate from the University before talking about learning a skill.

I will say that one should go to the university and also learn skills, not just one skill. It's a hard thing to choose just from from both options. However, it's advisable to take both. Because,we all know that there is no 100% assurance of getting a job after graduation, so getting a skill will help to make you busy and also give you an income during that period that you are using to wait for that your dream job . So get both skills and university education.

I know some people that believes that school, especially tertiary education, is not worth the stress that is involved in trying to acquire it. This is as a result of high level of unemployment in the society which makes lots of people to believe that those years used to acquire those certificate if it was channeled into learning business or acquiring skills it will have been better.

I'm an advocate of education and believes that going to school is not all about acquiring certificate, it actually helps in shaping your life, your thinking, gives you opportunity to meet different people, etc.

So if you have the opportunity of combining education and skill acquisition take it, it will not only make you to be self-reliant, it will equally give you an advantage in labour market. But if you can't afford both, find out which one you are more good at and go for it.

Well, having both (a university degree and acquiring a skill) gives you an edge over others. As a skilled graduate, you are a step ahead of someone who has just one out of the two. Academics redefines your intellect.

The problem in most places is that acquiring a university degree is quite expensive so they'll always opt to get a skill so as to be able to pay bills and take care of themselves too.

My own definition of education is that "Education is a key component to utilize your potential. It throws more light on your potentials (skill or talent) and broaden your horizon.

Education gives one a balance in life.

I know some people that believes that school, especially tertiary education, is not worth the stress that is involved in trying to acquire it. This is as a result of high level of unemployment in the society which makes lots of people to believe that those years used to acquire those certificate if it was channeled into learning business or acquiring skills it will have been better.

I'm an advocate of education and believes that going to school is not all about acquiring certificate, it actually helps in shaping your life, your thinking, gives you opportunity to meet different people, etc.

So if you have the opportunity of combining education and skill acquisition take it, it will not only make you to be self-reliant, it will equally give you an advantage in labour market. But if you can't afford both, find out which one you are more good at and go for it.
I also feel bad the way some people think that going to school is all about securing a job and so they won't bother going to the university again since it is obvious to them that there are no longer jobs available for graduates. It is not bad to go to school, you get to learn how to properly behave yourself in the society and also to relate with other people.

If you check well, the richest people in the world are not people who just stay at home to learn any skills. They have been to the university and they were reported to be very brilliant students too, even those who dropped out are very good in what they learned in school.
It is going to be hard for any offline business owners to become very Rich, internet is the future.

After secondary education, it is observed that not all students further their studies by going to the university. A percentage of them resort to learning some skills which they believe would be more valuable to their them in the future. They tend to focus on learning what would make them to become financially independent In the future without having to go about the streets from office to office trying so hard to secure a well paying job in order to fend for themselves and their family members.
A lot of them turn out to be rich people in the future because they were able to master the basics of the business or skills they learnt so they do not find it hard fitting into the business environment.

Do you think it is advisable for someone to abandone university education because they want to learn a skill or you would rather advise them to graduate from the University before talking about learning a skill.
Skills is very essential in this century. Somewhere along the way, maybe after your secondary school or after the university you should learn a skill that can sustain you. Most university graduates throw aside their degree and make a living with their skills. My brothers did exactly that, after sourcing for employment but to know avail, they ventured into their skills. When they started they were hoping they can still get white collar job, but 6 months into working with their skills they lost interest completely in any job. The skills is more than sustaining them, I am not sure they remember where their certificates are. So as higher education is important so is a handwork.