Disadvantages of having poor friends.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Incorrect Category Posting
It is not a very good thing to be the only one who is rich or financially capable among all the people surrounding you. The problem with a situation like this is the entitlement mentality that comes with it, because most of them will make you to be as though you are now going to take over the responsibility of the government or their parents in taking care of them .

When you have poor people around you as your friends, they will always want to milk you by always requesting of you for money to do one thing or the other .

It has been said that most poor people who have rich friends have never bothered to ask their rich friends how they got to where they are, but will always disturb them about money to do one or two things or to help them get a job .

When you have poor friends at your cycle, it deprives you of an opportunity to seek out better ways to utilise and improve yourself because they will continuously make you think that certain things are impossible due to how their poverty mentality has caused them to think .

Poor friends willalways make you to remain at the same level, and never progress.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
It can be difficult to maintain friendships with people who are poor. Though the majority of Americans suffer from varying degrees of poverty, it is still an uncomfortable topic.

You may have had experiences in which friends have borrowed money from you and failed to pay you back. This can cause a source of tension between you and your friend and may lead to depression for both of you.

In addition, you may have been embarrassed in public by your friends' inability to afford the same things that you can afford.

Moving along with poor friends too can slow you down. They may look up to you, thereby growing from their previous state to a better state, what about you, you could just be thinking of how better you are than then, you might not aspire to a greater level because u are somehow competing or comparing yourself to those that are not equal to you financially. This is not usually the case, but they can pull you down while they rise.

Lastly, you may feel that your friendship is unequal because the benefits tend to go one way and not both ways. People might even criticize you, and find little

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Having people we call friends is very essential to our survival as human beings . Because as human beings we have the need to always interact , share ideas , communicate , relate , informate , and conversate , and the people we are most likely to interact or communicate with are others human beings we consider to be called our friends , colleagues , well-meaning relatives , family members , and associates . even the holy scriptures or the Bible encourages we human beings to have associates and people will call friends because they could be our solution in our times of need .

Just as a friend can help us , a friend also can deplete us . You may be wondering how ? . To the more elaborate , having a set of friends who do not make any attempt to be financially equipped , rather they prefer and choose to remain broke and poor refers to the kind of friends that can deplete us . when we adopt this kind of mindset we are being influenced by their behaviour and attitude which is to remain poor and broke thereby living from hand-to-mouth . Individuals who are successful today did not become successful with this kind of friends in their friend list , so in order for you to be successful you have to ditch away friends with such mindset and rather feel among and associate with friends who think and struggle financially .

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Me personally I don't really have problems with poor friends because I will always try as much as possible to make sure they also grow along with me but it will be very bad if you have tried to help them grow but they do not see the needs but they will still keep on looking for opportunities to milk you dry .

If I try to help someone most especially my friends to grow but they do not see the need or they don't want to make use of that situation I will obviously deassociate myself with them because I can't possibly make friends with such people in my life because they are not really helping your life grow better.

There was one saying that we should try as much as possible to grow along with our friends because there will be a time that your friend may be so rich that you won't likely be able to fit into his categories anymore and that is true.

It is only people that don't really understand what it is for them to to be left behind when others have passed them. Personally I will always try to go along Because it is really necessary.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
What makes people poor in the first instance? Is there really a poor person? I don't have problem with poor people and I don't really see any problem with poor people. What I hate is people with poor thinking and poor mentality.

I don't move with people and I hardly make friend until I know that we are somehow compatible. This is because most time, we always have trouble with people that dont share the same opinions with us.

There are some people that have written off as being poor before but they are now comfortable if not more than me self. That's why I really asked who is even a poor people? No one is poor except those that are not really ready to learn new things and unwilling to take risks.

It may be difficult to move with poor people as they may be burdens on us but we should not see them as being poor because they cannot afford what we can afford. It will amaze you that some of those that we think are poor can do better than us if they have or see the same opportunity that we are seeing or having.

Rather than staying away from poor people, let's learn how to make sure that we are growing together. Show them the opportunity that you have and teach them how to fish, stop giving them fish

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Very inspiring information you shared dear. Poor friends always find a way to milk their rich friend, without asking how they got to their level in life. I will always do what it takes to climb up and not being poor in life nor relying on milking on my friend that is financially stable. I don't like begging money from my friends to help me solve a particular problem when I know they can help me get a way with financial degradation. It will be better to ask them how they're making their money than always dependent on them for monetary help. To be frank with myself, I don't like friends that always ask of money from me all the time, I love friends that adds positive to my life, infact any educated or wide individual wouldn't a friend that is always buggy of his finance, but the one contributing to his or her success as well. That's the reason why you can't see the rich making friends with only the poor, they always go to the rich as well, because their fellow rich will inspire them the more and make them climbing even higher than sinking down due to the ever demands from his or her poor friends.

Kendy

Verified member
There are many disadvantages of having poor friends. Poverty is really the state of the mind. A poor friend is one who would probably have bought you a gift throughout her life and he or she derives pleasure in reminding you what they did for you at every slight opportunity. Having friends that have a poverty mindset is like having a rapport with someone who needs to visit the rehab. I once had a friend who nearly influenced me positively but somehow along the line, I had to cut such ties because when once you have a friend and you do not feel any positive impact, it is needless going with the flow.

I had this friend who was opportuned to get employed and earned almost $209 in a month while I on the other hand, had no source of income. It baffles me how each time, she complains of incurring debts and would eventually ask I borrow her money and she had this entitlement mentality which is very replusive and nauseating. She saw the need to owe people yet she uses her money for things that are not important. I had cautioned her severally and I hid no words from her but I discovered she has a low mentality and self esteem as well to comprehend so I had to go my way.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have experienced the topic of this thread because I came from a poor family and we only became a middle class due to the efforts of my father. Until my relatives on my mother side are mostly poor. Some of my childhood friends are also poor. They may have contributed to my financial woes before because were borrowing money from me aside from seeking financial help. Anyway, I have learned my lesson later in life and now my policy is to no lend money to anyone whether relatives or friends. With financial help I am very selective and it would depend on the reason. In other words I have curtailed my generosity on them because I had been abused for many years by the poor people in my circle. It is better to be surrounded by rich people because they will not borrow money from you and they will not abuse you financially.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Your points are valid but the truth is that you need to be your self and also continue to position yourself for success. We all need to know that not everyone will be rich no matter how hard they work some just see it as their destiny so you don't need to throw them away simply because they are poor then where is the place of empathy in this.

The thing is that you can still keep friends that are poor but don't let yourself go. if a poor friend request for $100 that he would pay back later, you know he wouldn't to avoid having issues in future just split that amount and give him the amount you can let go of he doesn't pay back and you can easily let go without it hurting your finances.
Yes having poor friends would always make you faced with beggers albeit your friends but you need to draw the line. Let them know when and where you can help or else you would be dragged to their level so you don't have to allow that.

The issue isn't about keeping poor friends it is for you to be snRt about it and know when to draw the line.

Rachael

Verified member
There are many disadvantages that comes with having poor friends. Well, it is not like I have attained the status of being rich, but at least I can provide for my basic needs and that makes me a lot more independent. I have been in contact with poor friends and one thing I notice of them is that, they have a very low mindset and all they plan is just "small or little.' They lack insight and creativity and fail to see beyond the moment.

I have friends who I try my best to caution them and also tell them ways through which I earn money but they would be lazy and prefer I work either so I can lend them sum or give it to them without refund. A poor friend who does not want to evolve would remain stagnated and it would look as though the friend who is doing well does not have his or her interest at heart. When in the midst of poor friends, it can ultimately influence the way you think, if you are not smart enough to know your boundaries to having a negative mindset. Finally, the demerits of having poor friends makes one to fall prey into being in bad debts.