What Are The Disadvantages Of Having A Governmental Job?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many kinds of jobs. Working for the government is a kind of a job that many people prefer for many reasons. First of all, the government provides much better salary packages as compared to many private companies. The government also provides much better allowance rates as compared to other private organizations. Moreover, the workload in many government departments is not that huge either and this is what I have myself observed. There might be many benefits of having a governmental job. However, I think that there are many disadvantages of having a governmental job as well.

For example, many employees often have a trouble with the terms and conditions of the government. The government sometimes form a policy that is not suitable for the employees. I can understand that the private organizations also do the same things, but we do not pay taxes to the private organizations. If we pay taxes to the government, then the government should also create favorable policies for its people and employees. This is why the employees have no option but to go on a strike and this is bad for all the people involved in this cycle. So, what are some disadvantages of working for the government?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Government job is what a lot of people preferred over here and so many people are just looking for a single opportunity to get into the government because they are very sure if they are able to get into the government that it would be possible for them to get pension after retirement which to me is also one of the best way since most private sectors over here will not make an arrangement for you to get pension after retirement.

Well I even see the advantages of government jobs more than the disadvantages because as a government worker you are very sure of the pension and that is what a lot of people are always interested.

The only possible disadvantage of government jobs is the fact that you may not likely be able to start up your personal business since you are to work from Monday till Friday, most people who are working for the government will only rely on it as their only source of income because the time won't be available for you to start up anything.

Another possible disadvantage of governmental jobs is the fact that sometimes the payment won't really be enough to live comfortably especially in most African countries here .

Government jobs is suppose to be the best but in my country it's the opposite. Where I live, government is not consistent in paying their workers salarie. Government teaching firms usually embark on series on strikes just so the government would attend to their needs, schools are now closed and children are at home due to too much reliance on the government. In finding a job, I'll prefer the private sector due to a number of reasons. Right now, I'm at home when I'm suppose to be in college rounding up my semester exams because of the strike imposed by the academic staff union. This have a lot of negative effect on both the students and the lectures, youths now engage in illicit acts and behavior because they have nothing doing. The government should try to do their part and ensure all staffs of government firms are paid accordingly as agreed.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I am passionate about teaching and I have never dreamt do having a government teaching job because of the disadvantages of working with government. The following are the disadvantages of working with government.

Government works is not done thoroughly. Most people doing it are doing it for the money and not really for the efficiency. Mist time, if one is not careful, there is tendency of being redundant because people hardly grow in government works.

Government policies at times as a result of changing in government can alter the operation of government work. I could remember a family friend whose dad was sacked bacause the government of the day then saw that there was no reason for teaching some subjects in secondary schools, hereby sacked all the teachers teaching such subjects.

There is also case of political witch hunting. It is imperative for someone to belong to the party of the government of the day. These days, everything has been politicized even football. So someone that's not really I'm a good time politically with the government may find himself to be blamed because he may be transfered indiscriminately, he may not get promotion.

Most time government workers are denied of their pensions. They are not treated like senior citizens when they grow older. Most of them even die in the course of fighting for their rights.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well, no matter how good a thing is it also comes with it's disadvantage. but when it comes to government job I think the advantages outweigh any disadvantages we might encounter. People always prefer the government jobs especially in my country first because of the security that comes with government jobs and another is because of the pension and gratuity that you would receive after retirement. but then again government jobs come with Owings. like some states in my country the government would owe them up to 6 months salary and I wonder sometimes how they want the masses to survive those months . it can really be appalling but it is still better to me.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Government job is by far better than the private sector job here in my location. In govt own job, your passive income is assured in the future after service years, but in private sectors job, you can't get such guarantee rather you get paid off once and you can't get any again. Not even many private sector jobs offers such one time pay off to their workers. Some doesn't, you'll only get some money as sendforth and nothing much again. The passive income you get from govt makes the work more sweeter, and again you don't over work yourself in government own job, you don't go to work from 8am and coming back at 6 pm or 7 pm, rather, you'll spend few hours like 5-8 highest. You go to work at 8 am, you'll dismiss from working services around 2 PM, or 4 PM, and having the remaining hours to attend to other things of life. Government jobs doesn't stop you from doing businesses have you have time to attend, but in majority of private sector jobs, you barely have time for yourself, you devote more time to your job than any other thing, and you'll have compounded workload at times too.