Building Your Career: Working Smart Vs. Working Hard

Mika

VIP Contributor
There was a time when business gurus used to say you need to work hard to become successful. However, as opposed to working hard, these days you are advised to work smart in order to become successful in your business.

Working hard means you are tiring your body and mind at work to generate profits. Working smart means you earn profits without doing a lot of hard work. Let me exemplify, in ancient times, in order to lift the load a lot of people pulled the load through a rope. Over a dozen people were required to lift even a 1000 kg weight. But after the discovery of the pulley 3-4 people easily lifted 1000 kg weight. This is smart working.

It is true that most of us want to work smart and earn a lot of profits without doing hard work. However, most of us end up working hard to earn little profits. Sadly, not all of us can work smart.

My father was a workaholic. He would be working overtime every day when I was a student. But when I got a job he noticed that I was easy go lucky that he had not seen me being stressed. That is the result when you know the tricks of the trade. I would finish coding and testing the program in 3 days even when the allocated time is 5 days. Those 2 remaining days would be my cheat days.

My father was a teacher. He taught 5 hours every day, spent more than 2 hours preparing the lectures, also spent 3 hours checking the student's exercise books. He worked 10 hours. I can make what he made in a month just by working 2 days. The modern jobs are a way smarter.

You are very correct. Working hard to get money or to earn only work well in the old time. Because its use to happen this days that when you even work very hard one may not even earn anything talk less of small. But while working hard there are some people that will just work small been smart and earn a lot .

One day my father took me to timber site, everybody were busy, blistering heats was emerging from their bodies like solider ants on rampage. At intervals you see some of them pouring cold water on their bodies, showing their sexy six packs and muscles with thick skins and brown teeth. Father said to me "this is working hard".

Same day we drove uptown and enter a banking hall. Everywhere was cozy, people behaving polished with good smiles. There is a coffee stand and water dispenser too for visitors. He turn to me and said "this is soft and working smart". Like the proverbial saying of Joshua he said to me "choose yea this day whom to be".

The curtain was drawn immediately. Till date I do not engage on any tasking job, rather I pay for the services.

I took my time to read everybody's comment and to be frank, I was moved with @Mika and @Inspirator1 comments the most. I may say I am working hard and smart because I work 10 hours offline under people and smart for myself maybe for 8 hours online doing different things. But I have made up my mind to stop working for people for that long if I know how to trade in cryptocurrency.

Trading forex full time is not a bad idea but I won't subscribe to it. When I talk of other streams of income for everyone, it is not channelling everything to interest related action. From crypto, forex trading, to even get paid to post; I rate them as one. Then my official duties as second stream of income.

Trading forex full time is not a bad idea but I won't subscribe to it. When I talk of other streams of income for everyone, it is not channelling everything to interest related action. From crypto, forex trading, to even get paid to post; I rate them as one. Then my official duties as second stream of income.
May be your official duty gives you more than you need. Anyway, I am comfortable in some kind of way because I don't depend on anybody and I can afford everything that I need to. But the fear of the future is always the reasons why I love to have streams of income in as much as they are fetching money.

May be your official duty gives you more than you need. Anyway, I am comfortable in some kind of way because I don't depend on anybody and I can afford everything that I need to. But the fear of the future is always the reasons why I love to have streams of income in as much as they are fetching money.
It depends on what you mean by "..gives you more than you need". If it is on time leverage , yes, but monetary, nope. Do not forget that, "Man's need is insatiable", world econom is bad too. So engaging in streams of income is not wrong or restricted to those comfortable.

Everyone should diversify.

You need work hard as well as work smart. You cannot choose one over other. In fact you can become a smart worker only you have done a lot of hard work. If you are a smart worker but not a hard worker, you may not be very successful in your career.

I don't really know what people might says here but we all have our own different point of view , for me I believe that working smart is just one of the most important way of having financial freedom because smart working involved you taking so many things into consideration and developing a unique business strategy or invention strategy base on the interests of people and succeed in them . Because what you have invented are things that are irresistible to the people and the world at large.

In the other hand , if you said that people are to really work hard that means they won't even put so many things into consideration but they will only be working from morning till evening and the amount of money they will be earning won't even help them or even help secure their future especially now that the economy of our country is going down.

There are so many things that must be put into consideration when someone is thinking of having financial freedom and one of the most important things that should be put into consideration is what we have to offer and what we have to offer must always be unique and what interest people.

It is still part of smartness for me . If you are trying to build your career , there are so many things you are to put into consideration. There are sometimes you may decide to go into something but in most cases what you are deciding may be not likely be profitable. Now to apply a little form of smartness here, you have to choose and do a proper research to arrive at something that can really help you achieve something great . Such as choosing a lucrative course to study in the university.

Sometimes if you come to get the degree you are interested , you can use the degree to start up something you will always wants to do if you are not yet employed by the government.

There are many ways people can be smart apart from going into the university. You may start up a business based on what is lacking in the environment. Starting such a business especially through perfect reseach will always help generate you maximum profit.

During the cost of organising and starting of this business , hardwork may likely comes in because it will be needed especially at the earliest stage of a business. Both of them are absolutely necessary.

My father was a workaholic. He would be working overtime every day when I was a student. But when I got a job he noticed that I was easy go lucky that he had not seen me being stressed. That is the result when you know the tricks of the trade. I would finish coding and testing the program in 3 days even when the allocated time is 5 days. Those 2 remaining days would be my cheat days.

I think that there is nothing wrong with being a workaholic to some extent. The problem arises when a workaholic stresses too much on himself and when he starts compromising his health for work. The problem could also be caused if a person is being underpaid for his work and he works a lot to compensate for the low-paying work and works harder and harder to make more money by his low-paying job.

There are so many people out there who do overtime and they have no problem working for long hours. A time comes when a person actually get used to working a lot and in the end he forms that habit. I am also a kind of person who works a lot. I work on paid to post forums. Despite being paid low, I Try to work really hard daily.

This is why you will see me so active on Trendri and some of the few paid to post forums out there. I view paid to post forums as a regular job. Since I love to write and type, I think that paid forum posting is the ideal job for me. Right now, I am having a harder time working due to some personal issues, but I hope that I will sort them out and work diligently.

It is truly so sad that most of us have been guided to work hard rather than working smart. I remember while in school when students who studied really hard and rested less were applauded a lot. That sent a message to many that you should work tirelessly in order to be successful.

Personally, I came to learn about working smart while in campus. Instead of spending all your time studying without rest and having no social life, it is best that you schedule your time well so that you can include everything in your time. You can study, go out with friends, have enough rest and even have a part time source of income.

You will realize that when you in cooperate everything in your schedule, studying or running a business will be easier. This is because you will concentrate better and you will feel more fulfilled in life plus you will learn self discipline for following a schedule.