Why You Should Eat More Tomatoes

Mika

VIP Contributor
Tomato is a vegetable but it is also categorized as a fruit. There is an interesting anecdote that explains why tomato is a fruit. A long time ago, the US government imposed a heavy tax on vegetable farmers, in order to save money on tax, the farmers said tomato was not a vegetable but a fruit. That’s how tomatoes became fruits.

Tomatoes can be eaten raw, steamed, or cooked. Tomatoes are a very important part of soups, salad, broths, and gravy dishes.

Tomatoes are loaded with a lot of potassium. One cup serving of uncooked tomatoes contains just about 237 mg of potassium. You need a lot of potassium for your heart health as potassium balances your heartbeat, and improves the circulatory system and cardiovascular health. If you are eating one cup of tomatoes, you are getting your daily dose of potassium.

Tomatoes contain vitamin A, Vitamin A is necessary for eye health, it improves eyesight. Tomatoes also have various B vitamins, which is good for improving your cognitive functions.

However, tomatoes also have a lot of side effects. If you are eating a lot of tomatoes, you will be prone to kidney stones. Eating a lot of tomatoes might also cause body pain. Therefore, if you have arthritic symptoms or any kind of inflammatory symptoms, avoid eating too much tomato.

Tomatoes have a lot of benefits potassium and vitamins we can also use tomato to rub all over body for a lighter skin
That's very true. I have seen some dermatologist recommending using of tomatoes for skin treatment.

I like soups and tomatoes are the important ingredients in soups. I am a fan of tomato mushroom soup. I also like green salad and tomatoes are important ingredients in green salad. I also use tomatoes for beauty remedies. However, you should eat tomatoes in moderation because tomatoes are said to cause kidney stones and inflammation.

I enjoyed reading the benefits of tomatoes which you took you time to write. The last side of the information you shared concerning benefits of tomatoes made us to believe that, anything that is excessive has side effect, and the side effect of tomatoes have shown that it isn't comfortable for those having arthritis and inflammatory diseases to eat much of it. I don't eat tomatoes raw because it wouldn't go freely from my throat to my body system, I prefer steaming it and using it to prepare rice and stew. That's where I enjoy eating tomatoes.