Why employees promotion should be as a result of being hard-working and not favoritism.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
When an employee is employed , he is expected to possess attitude like diligence and professional skills . To be more elaborate he must exhibit qualities suitable for a desirable employee like honesty , truthfulness , integrity , industriousness , confidence , and obedience etc . These qualities listed above could end and employee rewards like job promotion , more financial allowances , and salary increase . Some business organisation do not see this as the main criteria's why an employees get promoted , their eyes are blinded by the bad act of favoritism . Most employees working in companies and other business organisation endeavour to do their best in carrying out job activities been assigned to them , they deserve to be promoted or giving some prominent prestige but in most cases they are not promoted but rather the promotion may be given to someone who does not even deserve being promoted search up is what we mean by favoritism .

By definition favoritism means showing favour to a person who do not deserve it as a result of familiarity with the person , and as a result of closeness and friendship . business owners must understand that when it comes to business activities truthfulness and impartiality should be major priority in carrying out business activities . Showing favouritism in businesses hinders business growth in the sense that employees become sluggish and reluctant in carrying out daily business goal . When employee notice that their employer or manager does not consider being hard-working and industrious as criteria to be promoted they feel sluggish and reluctant to work .

Kendy

Verified member
In time past, things were done in moderation and merit and the system was not as corrupt as it is presently. There is need to review and conduct staff appraisal once in a while to ensure and recognize the employees that are due to employment and also those who needs further training and overall developments. There is nothing as motivating to an employee than when he or she is recognized and being promoted but this should be solely on merit. The importance of promoting a worker on merit cannot be underemphasized. Even in the organisation where a worker is performing his duties, they actually know that their strength and capabilities differ and they know which or who amongst their fellow workers is hard working, although might not not frequently admit. Promoting a staff who does not merit it will only bring about chaos in the organization or firm. It will lead to inequity and assuredly, the other employees might not be able to protest openly about it because of the fear of loosing their jobs but it would lead to low worker's productivity and it would also lead to cognitive distortion whereby the other employees who rightly deserved to be promoted will reduce the level of input to the organization so that it will equalize to the way they are being treated. It can breed enmity in any organization which is very unhealthy.

Abee111

Employees promotion is not supposed to be by promoting your favourite person in the working place. Although promotion now is by favouritism. But this promotion most a times fail because that worker is not a hard working person, in face if care is not taking, they will turn down the business if it is a business. And if it is an organization, peoples mind will be decided and not working with the same goal.
But when it is done by hard working,everyone will work hard in that organisation just to see that they are being promoted from the level they are to another level. And in that, they promoted the organization, add more experience to their self and also things will work well in that organisation.
Private firms most times do promotion by you working hard. If u don't work hard, no promotion for you and if you are not lucky you will be fired just as a result of you not working hard, because any commercial or private firm is a competitive firm. And work toward achieving profit
Unlike government sectors where sometime don't give or keep record of their daily activities.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Promotion of employee is what must be carefully done to avoid the slow growth of the business. This is because it is a delicate step that needs to be taken serious. There are few people who may not be tempted to use favoritism while promoting workers to be factual. There is no way we won't put those that we know above those that we don't while promoting ni matter the competency of those that we don't know.

Most time, I always argue basing promotion on merits but rather it should be based on the years of active working. How will a manager promotes a new but competent worker above the ones that have been there for ages and not expecting rivalry among workers. It is not done. How will a manager promotes someone that is a total stranger st the expense of people that are very close like family and relatives and expect things not to go awry?

Most time, we only need to thread with caution and personally if I happen to be a manager, I will know how to be promoting my workers. I will be given incentive to workers rather promoting them.

Richee84

This is a very good and sensitive question, as owner of a business which one is more advantageous to the owner, having a hardworking staff or a staff that is not hardworking. Every owner of an organization will definitely want to have a hardworking staff in it organization because it will be an advantage to it company. A hardworking staff will help to increase the company production output which will I'm turn increase productivity for the company, I will prefer to base my promotion on the performance of the employees and not on favoritism and my reason are given below,
If promotion is base on workers performance, this will not only help u to get the best performance out of ur staff but will help to increase ur level of production. When staff are performance are been measure and the staff are aware that their performance will be a scale to be use for their promotion, all the staff will want to put in their best so they can be promoted. When staff put in their best in a company is to the advantage of the company and they should be rewarded for the hardwork but when worker discover that favoritism is been use than hardworking they will not want to put their best and this will affect the company performance negatively.