WARNING! BEWARE OF A MALWARE CALLED ElectronRat, IT STEALS FUNDS INSIDE CRYPTO WALLETS

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Security firm Intezer Labs said it discovered a covert year-long malware operation where cybercriminals created fake cryptocurrency apps in order to trick users into installing a new strain of malware on their systems, with the obvious end goal of stealing victims' funds.

These apps are three and the first two apps claimed to provide a simple platform to trade cryptocurrency, while the third was a cryptocurrency poker app.

All three apps came in versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and were built on top of Electron app.

ElectroRAT is extremely intrusive, It has various capabilities such as keylogging, taking screenshots, uploading files from disk, downloading files, and executing commands on the victim's console.

It will also gain access to your crypto keys, thereby stealing all your funds.

What is your take on this?

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Their is no avenue, which isn't utilized by scammers. Their will be many ways of malware phishing that scammers are deploying to steal funds from people. That's why I'm careful enough when it comes to downloading any Wallet app on play-store cos not all are legit. Making researches to find the legit options are best to avoid falling for their trap.

Dora Wi

Thanks for posting about this. It's always good to know what to watch out for.
My take is that this is another proof that we should always be careful with any kind of service involving money, always do research and not use an app unless we are completely sure it's not a scam.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I have never heard about this kind of malware before. Can you please tell me how is it possible for computers to contract this malware? Are the computers infected by this malware when we download any stuff from the internet? Will the Anti-spyware be able to identify and remove this malware from my computer? These questions need to be answered.

Suba

Staff member
It seems that ElectroRAT Malware is specially designed to attack crypto wallets on many Operating Systems. Your laptop, desktop, smartphone etc. devices can be infected through the browser, even your paid antivirus often cannot detect any malware. therefore I use secure Brave browser to prevent popads, block trackers and anti malware protection. Don't download applications from untrusted sites. Clean history and cookies often, both with the browser and with CCleaner. and often also a scanner with antivirus. That's what I did to prevent malware whatever its name, but if you think it's not enough, you can activate the Windows Firewall, you can also install anti-malware software such as IObit Malware Fighter, McAfee Site Advisor etc.