Business Ideas Poultry farm business : pros and cons

Stena

My mom had a poultry farm years back. While it was a lucrative venture for her back then, it was an interesting venture for us as kids. But we grew to understand that every business had its good and off sides, including our interesting poultry farm business.

As a poultry farmer, you can get to rear broilers which are primarily raised for their good meat production or layers, which are good egg producers. At the end of it all, you make profits from the sale of either broilers and layers and even their eggs and dung!

But there are also disadvantages to this business. The tendency to record deaths in poultry is high either due to poor nutrition, poor hygiene, poor stock or the climate. This aspect requires a lot of attention by the farmer in order to curb losses.
Secondly, the cost of poultry feed gets higher and higher, thus making it difficult for some farmers to put up with the business. At the point of sale, most of them do not even realise good profits.
Thirdly, poultry tends to be of ceremonious need. A good number of people would only buy chicken during festive seasons. This is no encouragement to a farmer who rears poultry all year round. He or she can therefore resort to earnings from sale of eggs or dung.

Are there other pros and cons to poultry business that you know of?
Slide in your contributions then.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Poultry farming is a sustainable agricultural practice that can be done on a small scale or a large scale. The fundamental steps of poultry farming are the same no matter the scale, though:

1. Acquire birds

2. Feed and care for birds

3. Slaughter/process birds into meat (and/or eggs)

Poultry farming requires high levels of labor and commitment, but the wages are comparatively low. However, there are many benefits to poultry farming. For example, the process of raising poultry can provide a healthy source of protein for many communities and nations throughout the world; therefore, poultry farming practices that reduce the risk of disease and optimize housing conditions can improve the health of these communities.

If you're interested in starting your own poultry farm business, it's important to consider all aspects of this industry before committing to it!

-----Pros:

1. Poultry is very high in protein--not only does it have all nine essential amino acids, but it's also an extremely versatile source of protein: it can be eaten raw or cooked, and it can be prepared in so many ways that you never have to get bored with your meals.

2. Poultry is environmentally-friendly: the animals used for poultry are grown in a way that doesn't endanger nature or other wildlife. And because the animal feed is grown on farms, it doesn't deplete natural resources like fishing grounds or forests.

3. Poultry products can save you money: buying poultry may be more expensive than buying meat from other sources, but it lasts longer and so you don't have to buy as much of it at once. And because of how versatile poultry meat is, you can easily make meals out of whatever leftovers you have on hand--leaving less waste than if you

4. It's lucrative.

-----Cons:

Amidst these great advantages, there are disadvantages too:
1: Poultry farming is stressful
2: money and time consuming
3: Animals or birds involve could get infected and die in a shirt time
4: it requires a lot of attention.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Investing your money by owning a poultry farm is a lucrative business but solely depends on the scale . Most important farms in Nigeria are in small-scale and yields low-profit . but I think the best way to make tons of money by on a poultry farm is by making it in large-scale . And by large scale I mean , establishing the poultry business to consist the rearing of not only fowl but also the rearing of other farm domestic birds like ostrich Turkey, Guinea fowls , and ducks etc . Then only will it be assured that you can make large profits .

On the other hand most people do not like investing their money in poultry business due to some certain factors like : the animals are prone to death as a result of Mismanagement , the animals also are prone to sickness which in turn could pass to order healthy birds . Poultry business tends to boost during festive periods like Christmas , Easter's , Halloweens and individuals birthday etc . . So even though you don't like poultry business considering the festive periods can make you establish a small-scale poultry farm just to make sales and monetize your time during this festive.

Kendy

Verified member
Poultry farm business is very lucrative but it has its good and bad sides. There is actually no business without its downside, no matter how profitable it could be. This poultry farm business is one very profitable business I know and it could also be very unprofitable within a blink of the eye. There is nothing as encouraging as making profits for a business owner and there is also nothing as depressing as incurring losses. The demerits of poultry farming is that, which ever specie you are putting, either the Broilers or cocks, you need to ascertain the type of specie, this is because even the Broilers for example has its own different products both in terms of food and the drugs prescription. I have reared chickens for a couple of months and I could decipher that the specie being bought matters a lot. There are species of Broilers which are stronger and healthier than others and you could rear 500 birds without even one having casualties till the selling period. Again, there are some that would be bought and even on the first day, they will easily be infected by a flu and this is detrimental because one common feature is that, once a chicken is infected, there is high possibility that the rest will follow suit.

Yhubee

Poultry farming is a very lucrative business and can lead to earning a lot of profit. However you need to have sure customers when venturing into poultry farming.
Poultry farming has a lot of responsibilities,as a poultry farmer you have to be willing to keep the environment clean at all times to avoid easy infection of the birds and then you need a lot of knowledge about the particular feed that will be very good for the specie of broilers or layers or growers that you are rearing,and also the different supplements or drugs that are being given in case of infections to avoid easy spread of infections to the other birds.
Sometimes the business only flourishes during ceremonial seasons like during Christmas or during Easter and so it seems like the demand for the birds are not always really on the high side that's why to venture into this business you need to have people that you supply your birds to which could be people who are into the roasting of Chicken or people that are into buy into catering services
Generally poultry farming is a very lucrative business and has its normal risks which is common in every business

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Well, somehow I could say that I agree with the poster but not completely and this is because some of the facts might sound like it does not really work the way I know about it. At first, in poultry business, the first thing that is important is that you have to ask yourself, if you are doing this in small scale or the large scale, because if you really mean business then you should do it big, in that way, you will easily make your profits in multitude unlike the other one. I know some business might give the opportunity to start small but not like this particular one, do not get me wrong, I never said that one can’t start small, but if you do, it might not be encouraging considering the time and the stress required to invest in it.