Overtime work vs hiring additional personnel

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This issue is always debatable because an additional staff is a regular expense while paying overtime work is just an extra expense. One actual example is a wholesaler of food items that they deliver to small stores. The orders are piling up so the delivery continues until evening. An additional delivery guy would incur not only the fixed salary but also the delivery vehicle which is s tricycle (motorcycle with a cargo bin on the side) that is not cheap.

The setup is welcome to Ramon, the delivery guy, because he is earning more because of the overtime pay. But Ramon spends 12 hours a day in his job and has no day off. There came a time that Ramon got very sick. All the orders had piled up that the owner had to contract a delivery team to satisfy the orders. In the end the expenses was too much that the owner considered hiring an additional delivery staff.

arunima25

Verified member
Well, that would be tricky. Hiring a new person would lead to extra expense on the part of the company and might keep the current employee from earning some extra bucks by overtime working. And it would also save the expense of extra vehicles for the company. But then the current employee might develop mental and physical health issues working overtime in long run. Companies need to have employee-friendly policies. Hiring a new employee will create one extra job opportunity. And two people together would definitely work better than one doing part-time and crashing later. The efficacies and efficiency will improve. And the company can take more delivery orders and finish it quicker. So more customer service.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
An employee can provide additional service for additional pay but it requires the consent of the worker. In the past I used to work for a comapny that violated job rules by making employee come before job hours for so-called "training sessions". Many employers tend to avoid hiring new employees and never pay old employees for overtime in my country which is a kind of bad thing.

arunima25

Verified member
An employee can provide additional service for additional pay but it requires the consent of the worker. In the past I used to work for a comapny that violated job rules by making employee come before job hours for so-called "training sessions". Many employers tend to avoid hiring new employees and never pay old employees for overtime in my country which is a kind of bad thing.
That is an unfortunate situation. And the sad truth is that it exists everywhere in some or the other form. Companies exploit employees in many ways and sometimes employees do not even realise that what's being done to them is not a part of regular job thing but exploitation. There are laws to protect employees' rights. But sadly there is a lack of awareness around that. Even when people are aware of their exploitation, they just try to avoid taking a legal way for all the challenges it brings. They find switching jobs easier and many just continue with the exploitation out of helplessness and no option.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
That is an unfortunate situation. And the sad truth is that it exists everywhere in some or the other form. Companies exploit employees in many ways and sometimes employees do not even realise that what's being done to them is not a part of regular job thing but exploitation. There are laws to protect employees' rights. But sadly there is a lack of awareness around that. Even when people are aware of their exploitation, they just try to avoid taking a legal way for all the challenges it brings. They find switching jobs easier and many just continue with the exploitation out of helplessness and no option.

I was quite shocked when they told me to come one hour earlier thann my regular job time. I had an urge to ask them that they never told me that they would occassionally ask me to come before my job time. However, since I was an employee who needed salary, I had no choice but to obey them. So, yes, they definitely want you to work for them for much less wages or salary. I later quite that job because they were very demanding.

arunima25

Verified member
I was quite shocked when they told me to come one hour earlier thann my regular job time. I had an urge to ask them that they never told me that they would occassionally ask me to come before my job time. However, since I was an employee who needed salary, I had no choice but to obey them. So, yes, they definitely want you to work for them for much less wages or salary. I later quite that job because they were very demanding.
People make a lot of compromises to sustain a job that helps them pay their bills. Fortunately, you got another job and could move on. But that might not be the case with others. We know that there are people who put up with so much to sustain a job. Finding another job might not be so easy.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
People make a lot of compromises to sustain a job that helps them pay their bills. Fortunately, you got another job and could move on. But that might not be the case with others. We know that there are people who put up with so much to sustain a job. Finding another job might not be so easy.

Well, who told you I got another job? :) After quitting that job, I never had another job. I left that company in the month of April and since then I have been searching for ways to make money online. Fortunately, great websites like Trendri made it possible for me to earn money online. I always wanted to work onlineand I never wanted to have a day job.

arunima25

Verified member
Well, who told you I got another job? :) After quitting that job, I never had another job. I left that company in the month of April and since then I have been searching for ways to make money online. Fortunately, great websites like Trendri made it possible for me to earn money online. I always wanted to work onlineand I never wanted to have a day job.
Sorry! I thought you got another job. It is good that your online earnings are helping you to sustain your living. I can never imagine my online earnings taking care of all my expenses in my country. As such also I am not the main breadwinner of the family. For the main breadwinner of the family, it is quite challenging. I fear that online earnings would never substitute for your offline job. Yes, you can earn well online if you have skills for freelancing projects like teaching, programming, and designing etc.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I will go with hiring a new hand or extra hands to help out than relying on one that is going for part time.people can't handle that for a long time so getting someone else that will also help might just be the best bet than any extra timebhands that might get tired in the future

funmi

Verified member
I will prefer hiring additional personnel than overtime work. I believe that is the best option for both the business owner and for the worker. When workers do overtime work, it will stress them a lot even the additional money may not cover for the stress. Hiring new workers will make the work effective and less stressful.