Is there still hope in the teaching career in Nigeria?

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
From my early days as a child I have always love teaching, I would gather the children around and tutor them on various things from their note. I grew hoping that one day I might find myself in that career, due to my passion for teaching I took the role of a teacher after the completion of my tertiary education just to test the waters once again as my area of discipline was not in the teaching profession. I taugh for a few years and i was able to fulfil my long-term desires of working a class room.

Looking those year when I worked in that capacity I am so happy because many of my student are doing so well now in life, am glad I was part of their success stories. And I was able to contribute my own quota to their educational advancement and achievements.

But with the way things are currently in our educational system it is so mind boggling to see the kind of secondary school graduate that schools are producing one cannot but wonder where all the morals and discipline we used to have then suddenly disappeared to. Infact the educational systems is nothing to write home about.

It is really worth building a career in the teaching profession in Nigeria?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
I personally know that there is hope for teaching in Nigeria in the sense that; through they government mighty not be paying them as they they ought to but I believe those that they taught in school will one day pay them back.

I equally believe that Teaching job is not a waste because in one way or the other one can as well start his own school with the idea they had gather as the teacher before.

Though I see teaching job as the mother of all other profession because without them there can never be any other profession but yet they are not well treated I. Nigeria especially.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Teaching in Nigeria is nothing but a waste of time and talents. There is nothing like encouragement for the people that are found there from the basic level to the higher institutions level. But this should not be a way of discouragement to someone that desires or loves teaching like me. We should just believe that we are doing it for passion and not really for money. And after impact our own quota to the development of the educational systems and the lives of individuals, we can now quit,my plan though as a teacher.

Kingstone

Well, it depends. We can look at it from two different angles and the angle in which you are viewing yours is the moral and didactic lessons. The core values of society have been lost. I wonder what happened to those days we knew nothing more than I study and read. The competition was so intense then but now it is not. I am a part-time teacher currently and I see that the children do not have the vibe to learn and become successful.

funmi

Verified member
With the current state of the nation and the kind of people that are in government now, there is absolutely no hope for teaching profession in Nigeria. Even if the government plan to change the structure and improve the payment of teachers salary, what about the private sectors? Will they change the Way they use teachers as slaves under no good working condition?
More so, government can not employ all the teachers which means many teachers will still have no choice but to be absolved in to the private schools. So it is only if a government that understands what it takes to be a professional teacher comes on board before things can change for teaching profession in Nigeria.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I cannot speak of Nigeria, but here in my country, teaching is a lucrative job. If you managed to pass competitive exams taken by the teaching service commission, you will be placed in community schools, where the basic salary is at least $350 per month, which is not bad income considering the fact that it is twice the minimum salary offered in the country. Even when you cannot get a job in community schools, there are many private schools where you might be hired. You can even start private teaching. I have many relatives who work as teachers in private and community schools.

General01

The issue in Nigeria is largely a top issue.
The leaders and policy makers of the various stages and even the federal government are not helping matters with their policies on both private and public institutions.
The salary is minute and it has a knock-on effect on the attitudes of the teachers.
They will definitely take the work as it should

However, there is hope for the country.
Identifying these problems is the first step to overcoming it.
If you and I regard it as a problem it will definitely find solution in the nearest future especially when we find ourselves in those leadership positions

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
recently, I saw a picture of Nigerian teacher who was teaching computer to the school students on a blackboard. There was no computer in a computer class. Based on my understanding, education system in Nigeria is not very good. If a school cannot provide a computer to a computer teacher and students, how can students actually learn computer without actually using a computer. Unless the government invests heavily in education sector, I do not think teaching will be a lucrative career. In my country, teaching is a good career option if you are positioned in community schools. salary in private schools is not very good here.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I will never advise anyone to go for teaching do it is one of the reputable professions in the world. But what is the essence of engaging in reputable profession and you are not being appreciated with it.

You can only be better off as a teacher if you are working with Federal government in my own country. it is the Federal government that is capable of being good salaries to the teachers with other benefits.

Majority of the state government and private entities don't usually treat the teachers very well. In my country, teachers are usually underpaid and they are owned for several months.

E

eldavis

I think the only way to actually see hope or changes when it comes to teaching would when there is a change in government. A government that really understands the value of teaching. Right now the teaching occupation is Nothing to write home about.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Teaching in Nigeria is actually not a very desirable job. If you look closely at our educational sector you will find out that the sector is one of the most abandoned.
Like the school my mum teaches, they have not enough classrooms, lab equipments among others.
If we look at the pay, teachers are among the least paid government workers.
You will discover that doctors and people in other professions are paid huge amounts while teacher are given miscellaneous as payment.
This is the main reason teaching does not rank among the good jobs in Nigeria even if there were people who have the passion to go for it, they at times get discouraged and do not seek after it whole heartedly

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
recently, I saw a picture of Nigerian teacher who was teaching computer to the school students on a blackboard. There was no computer in a computer class. Based on my understanding, education system in Nigeria is not very good. If a school cannot provide a computer to a computer teacher and students, how can students actually learn computer without actually using a computer. Unless the government invests heavily in education sector, I do not think teaching will be a lucrative career. In my country, teaching is a good career option if you are positioned in community schools. salary in private schools is not very good here.
This is indeed is very ridiculous, nothing has changed for the better ever since I last posted the thread, Nigerian educational sector is going from bad to worse, the government has always shown the lack of interest in improving the educational sector they rather prefer to spend money on frivolous facilities, the government has a very high level misplaced priorities. They rather spend the precious money we have in Nigeria to develop other neighbouring countries and even distant country rather than concentrate on the problems and challenges we are having in Nigeria.

The educational system in Nigeria is facing a severe downturn and the response of the government towards the fall is very poor, in fact it seems they are even against the growth and advancement of the educational system because those in thr political class are the ones pushing down the educational standards as they look for every means possible to short change the system and get fake certification to contest for political offices. They do all these at the expense of the development of the country's educational development.

Even as I write this the academic staff union of universities of Nigeria are on strike which has already lasted a six month period. And students have been at home doing virtual nothing and this is leading to brain drain. This has always been the culture, there has been hardly any year where we would experience a smooth academic calendar without having disruptions as a result of strikes and the likes, and this is all happening as a result of the failure on the part of the government to meet their demands.