Is ir a good idea to employ one of family member as a manager of ones company?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
I belive that its good to invest and after that as time goes on employ more hand when the need be.

But to my surprise a friend employed one of his family member as a manger in his company with the aim that since he is one of his family that surely the man will helped to manage his company very well.

It happened that after two years of employing the man many things started happening to the extent that the company is about to fold up.
The manager that suppose to manage the business very well was the one embezzled company money.
The secret was refilled after when an External Auditor was invited to audit the company.

Now my friend is in the state of confusion of what to do because the man is one of his family member and step he wanted to take the family is pressurizing him that he should nor spoilt family ties.
Can we say that my friend is at fault?
To the extent that the so call manager has built two houses while my friend just bought a land.

Is good at to employ any family member to be the manager of ones company?

At the starting you can employ your trusted family member especially from your biological side. Through the bond you share with him or her, it will surely try everything possible to keep your business afloat, and never let it dwindle. But remember to hire a family member that understand's such managerial spot before handling it to him or her.

I don't think there is anything bad for someone to employ his family member to his company but at the same time I don't think it is a must. you can only do the heart if he or she has the knowledge and understanding of how to run a business and of course that will definitely give your business a boost in the sense that he or she will handle it as his or her own.

To me, I will not advise any one to use any body in his family as a manager in the the company. Though, I know that some families varies but still is not advisable. As the manager who is a member of your family may not really handle the business as he or she ought to handle it if he was employed by an outsider. He will feel too comfortable and not think he should be corrected if he makes mistakes or does something wrong.

I can't figure out anything bad in such a move provided the person who you are spotting to give that managerial position is a very diligent person. It doesn't mean if the person is your blood or not, if the person is industrious enough it should be in the position to handle it. Sometimes people that are not even your blood will run your business anyhow.

I think there is no point in having a family member who can fit in to the business and then employing an outsider. In as much as some family members may give much commitment , it doesn't mean that there is no one that can . We just have to look for someone we trust and then work on them to give us what we want.

This topic would largely depend on the character or personality of the family member. They are all humans which means he can be trusted or maybe not really, he knows management well or not really. There are many questions that can only be answered by the people close to the family member.

When it comes to managing a business I think the most important thing is competency and the ability to drive your goals. Having a family member as a manager might be a good idea because of the personal relationship you guys share with each other but it is important that when it comes to business matters you guys keep it professional.

There is no difference between employing ones family or friends and employing a total stranger. The business of your friend failed not because he employed his family member but because he employed someone who's not capable enough to run the business. Even if a total stranger is not qualified, the same thing will also happen.

Personally, I don't have any problem with this but before you can employ someone into your business organisation and no matter who the person is , The person must be qualify academically.

If everything is in the right proportion and they are qualified and you are satisfied , then i don't see anything wrong and the reason why you shouldn't employ them. But problem is likely to arise when you are just employing someone because it is your family member into the business when they don't really understand their responsibilities in the business you have employed them to do.

Apart from the fact that the person is not qualify academically, sometimes it is always advisable for you to directly avoid employing your family members into your business because you will not likely be able to discipline them in the business organisation or allow them to follow the normal business rules and regulation.

Most cases, it can be controlled but personally for peace to reign and to manage my business perfectly and the best way I want, I will try as much as possible to avoid employing family members into my business organisation because they might not really help me the way I need. Thats just a my thinking though.