How To Survive a Job You Hate

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
It's possible to survive a job you hate, and there are several things you can do to make it easier on yourself:

1. Don't take it personally

You don't have to like your job. You don't even have to like the people who work there or think they're doing a good job. You only have to take action and then determine how to deal with the situation.

2. Stay positive

Don't be afraid of expressing your frustration, or of asking for help. But don't let the negativity around you get you down. just remember that you are working with people who are happy at their jobs, too! And there will be times when they'll need support, too.

3. Be realistic about what you can change

Sometimes it's just not possible to change things in a job that doesn't suit you; if so, try not to take things personally (as above), and focus on finding another job that does suit your interests and skillset instead of spending too much time feeling frustrated about what isn't going well for you.

cmoneyspinner

The best way to survive a job that you hate is to secretly search for another job. You might not find another job. But psychologically speaking, just the "hope" that there might be an opportunity to be able to walk away from your job, motivates you to keep going. Seriously. Just say to yourself: "It will better tomorrow." It will help you make it through each day.

The next thing is to remember WHO you are working for. If you have people who depend on your income, as much s you may hate that job ... you will hate much worse if your dependents suffered because they lost your financial support. If you are only working to support yourself, imagine what it's life to be homeless.

Maybe you can not change the job you hate so easily. But you have full control over your attitude and behavior. Just take one day at a time and make it through that day.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
The job you hate is often the one that pays the most. In a survey of more than 6,000 people in their 20s and 30s, CareerBuilder found that those who were happy with their jobs earned an average of $85,000 per year. But those who were only satisfied with their jobs earned nearly $20,000 less — $77,000 on average.

That's because money isn't everything. You need to work in an environment where you feel comfortable and excited about your work each day.

If you're miserable at your job but still making bank, it's time to take some action. Here are five ways to survive a career you hate:

1) Get extra training or skills — even if it takes time away from your current position

2) Be open to new challenges and opportunities

3) Make sure you're getting paid what you deserve

4) Get organized so that you can focus on what matters most — your career growth and development.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
If you hate your job, there's a good chance that other people do too. In fact, it's likely that most of your coworkers don't even like the job they're doing.

If you think they're just being nice when they say they like their jobs, consider this: Hating your job is often not a symptom of low self-esteem or mental illness; it's more likely rooted in everyday reality.

Here are five signs that your job really does suck:

Your boss doesn't seem to care about improving things. As long as things stay the same, there's little hope of improvement — which makes it hard to feel motivated to work there.

You're bored out of your mind at work every day and can't wait for lunchtime so you can go home and be with family or friends who make you laugh or feel good about yourself.

You dread going into work because of all the crap people do, but none of them really knows any better either. Everyone is just acting out of habit and living their own lives without regard for how their actions affect others around them.

Even though everyone on staff complains about how awful things are at their workplace, no one seems willing to take responsibility for anything positive that could be done differently or even better. Get some perspective about what's really going on in the office. If it's clear that there are serious problems with management styles, systems and operations, then maybe it's time for a change -- even if those changes seem unlikely right now. Maybe someone else could be doing the job better than you are now; maybe that person is waiting for someone else to take over from them (or vice versa). And maybe there are other factors involved as well, such as personality conflicts between people.

cmoneyspinner

It's really sad that when people are miserable at their job, it seems like the last thing that they would ever do is go and talk to their boss or supervisor. Why is that? It could be that once the management realizes they are unhappy, they might start looking for reasons to terminate them BEFORE the employee can leave of their free will. I know there are some managers who say they an "open door policy" and that you cn come to talk to them if you're upset, disgruntled, unsatisfied, etc. They say that. But quite frankly, if I were the employee I would keep my mouth shut and just go try to find another job. Sorry but ... I just wouldn't trust that. Did it ever occur to you that if you're unhappy, the manager, supervisor, or boss might also be unhappy? Mayve something is going at your workplace. All I know is ... wherever you work, you should be happy to got work. If you're not, then do your best to move on..

Shaf

Verified member
If you hate a job, then try to like if for the money it gives you, simple!
The truth is that even those who love their jobs would have times where they feel tired of it, but since we all have bills to pay that don't care if you love your job or not, it's best to keep on pushing, at least until you get one you loves and that pays well.

This is also why you shouldn't quit your job until you have a solid plan for at least three months.

You can also find ways to make the work fun for yourself. You can play music, or make boring activities fun by making tweaks or jokes while working. It can even help your co-workers relax while they work.

If the cause of this is beyond your control and you've tried your best but it doesn't seem to get better, you may want to consider looking for another job instead of doing something that can affect your mental health.

cmoneyspinner

If you hate a job, then try to like if for the money it gives you, simple!

You can also find ways to make the work fun for yourself. You can play music, or make boring activities fun by making tweaks or jokes while working. ...
LOL. I have to admit that I did enjoy my work day better when I was allowed to listen to music. To me the worset thing about hating your job is that there is reaally nobody at the job that you cn confide in OR rather nobody that you should confide in. It is something that you should keep to yourself and work your way through it on your own.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Haha, If you are in a job that you don't like, get out of it ASAP, do not waste time, make sure whatever you do in life is worth it and do not be naive thinking just because you are making big bucks in a business you should tolerate anything they do to you, this is a really bad mentality to have, it is weakness, you should always be strong and have standards that you will never break no matter what.

So what if you leave the job and you couldn't find a new one, go start a business and make your own money, I do not know who make this crazy assumption that people have of having to work for someone before revenue can be generated, centuries ago we are not facing this problem at all, every household cater for itself and they have distinguished roles each, they were all independent.

King bell

VIP Contributor
If you’re stuck in a job you hate, it can be hard to find the motivation and enthusiasm to get out of bed each day. But there are a few strategies you can use to make your workday more bearable and help you get through each day without losing your mind.

1. Identify What You Do Like: Even in a job that you despise, chances are there are a few aspects of the job that you can appreciate. Take a few moments each day to focus on the positive aspects of the job and to remind yourself why you’re there.

2. Find Meaningful Work: Search for meaningful work within the job. Whether it’s taking on a challenging project or helping a coworker, finding something that you can look forward to can make the job more bearable.

3. Set Goals and Reward Yourself: Set small goals for yourself and reward yourself for achieving them. This can help you stay motivated and give you something to strive for.

4. Take Time for Yourself: Make sure to take time for yourself each day. This can be anything from reading a book to going for a walk. Taking some time to relax and unwind can help you keep your sanity.