Shares/Stock How much increase in price before you sell your stocks?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I am posting this question because I have stocks worth $20,000 or even more. Even if I am saying that I will not sell now but we don't know what the future holds for us so I just want to be ready in case I would need the money. When I received the stocks, the value was around 125 per share and later on when I was consulting an office mate of my wife who is into stocks, she urged me to sell even $2,000 worth of my shares because the market price has increased to 135. Roughly that's around 8% increase. I did not sell though and until now I have not tested the trading because I have not intention to sell. Maybe I will buy more stocks but I am not decided yet.

Anyway, the question now is how much is the gain that is appropriate to sell? It came to my mind that if the price is 135 and I sell the stocks then I earned 10 for each share that I have. When the market price goes down to 125 or even below then I can buy. That was not on my agenda but now I realize that trading in stocks can be profitable. Again, how much is the gain that I should sell?

Sometimes you wait long until he reaches such target but the fault sometimes it is near to the target and you did not sell at this time then a big fall in the price then you regret means stocks purchased price 20,000 $ and target is 25,000 $ and he reaches 24,800 $ and you did not sell waiting to attempt 25,000$ and at 24,820 $ he is suddenly down to 19,100 $ then you will regret as even reaching 80 % of the target is better than being loser.