Shares/Stock How much increase in price before you sell your stocks?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I am posting this question because I have stocks worth $20,000 or even more. Even if I am saying that I will not sell now but we don't know what the future holds for us so I just want to be ready in case I would need the money. When I received the stocks, the value was around 125 per share and later on when I was consulting an office mate of my wife who is into stocks, she urged me to sell even $2,000 worth of my shares because the market price has increased to 135. Roughly that's around 8% increase. I did not sell though and until now I have not tested the trading because I have not intention to sell. Maybe I will buy more stocks but I am not decided yet.

Anyway, the question now is how much is the gain that is appropriate to sell? It came to my mind that if the price is 135 and I sell the stocks then I earned 10 for each share that I have. When the market price goes down to 125 or even below then I can buy. That was not on my agenda but now I realize that trading in stocks can be profitable. Again, how much is the gain that I should sell?

D

Deleted member 28127

Sometimes you wait long until he reaches such target but the fault sometimes it is near to the target and you did not sell at this time then a big fall in the price then you regret means stocks purchased price 20,000 $ and target is 25,000 $ and he reaches 24,800 $ and you did not sell waiting to attempt 25,000$ and at 24,820 $ he is suddenly down to 19,100 $ then you will regret as even reaching 80 % of the target is better than being loser.