Governmental Jobs vs Private Jobs: Which Are The Better Ones?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many different kinds of jobs out there. However, the two types of jobs are the most famous ones and they are the governmental jobs and the private jobs. Both of them have their own advantages and disadvantages. There are many people in my country who believe that governmental jobs are much better than private ones. They provide higher salaries and less work. Moreover, the governmental jobs are less stressful as compared to private ones. Many governmental organizations also provide allowances. This is something many private organizations in my country do not offer. They only offer allowances to people who hold much higher positions in private companies. However, private jobs are not that bad either.

I have noticed that many professional and educated people in my country are part of private organizations. Private organizations offer low salary packages but they also offer professional environment and better skill improvement opportunities as compared to governmental organizations. However, many people in my country still believe that governmental jobs are much better option. So what are your thoughts about this topic? Do you think that governmental jobs are still much better? Or would you prefer working in a private company? Which one would you pick?

EKUSANI

I provide private job than government job cuz the payments are huge but government job no.also lack of paying salary at the right time, but in private job you get your pay without even ringing the belt .mostly in government job you work more than your pay. Although government job guarantee u of Pension. But it most cases pension are not paid on time and some people complaining of not being paid for some years now in Nigeria , you regret working as a government employee. Because stress and every other things are much unlike private job. the only thing I like about the government job is once you're being employees,it is everlasting but private job they can sack you at any point or anytime so in private job you're not guaranteed forever employment ..but in government work you are guarantee .so that's the only thing that will guarantee u to work than private job. but I Nigeria that's the number one typical example. government school under strike I mean anything about government is full of stress if u have admission to school,u will end up spending 6 years instead of 3 yrs course.so for me I prefer government job.

D

Deleted member 62875

Private job is the best job ever, how can you feel being your own boss, why do you think government workers are called civil servants,reason the word SERVANTS and the word BOSS and judge, which one can you prefer to be.government workers depends on the government either ferdral worker, state worker down to local government. Anything time the government fails to pay salaries what do you think will happen?, there is going to set back in the civil servants progress, I mean shortage of supplies to one's self, either in clothes budget or food supply. Definitely that government work is incomparable to private work in any ways.in government work your income is limited and caged within a given range depending on level. Infact since you are a slave to the government, they can sack you out anything time any moment,and if the government policies are corrupt just as the case of my country Nigeria,you won't have a say of why and it's all over. The only alternative to have is becoming a private worker.that makes private work better than government work.private work has no earning limit, the more you work the more you earn, you are not a slave and no body can sack you.

Suba

Staff member
Until now, many people still think that working for the government is better than working in a private job. If we are highly educated or have a master's degree, one day we will have a position in the government. Private jobs will easily go bankrupt while work in the government is stable, also more women have husbands who work in the government.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Both of them has advantage and disadvantages , but in most cases a lot of people will prefer to work for the government because working for the government really ensures that employees will be eligible to receive pension after retirement . This is always the top priorities of so many people.

The only disadvantages of government work over here is that there is higher level of unemployment and because of that people are now looking straight forward on how to establish one business or the other.

On the other hands private business organisation is also one of the best way to make money , Here private business organisation do not make arrangements for pension after retirement. That's why a lot of people may not likely interested to work for private business organisation here Because of lacks of pensions.

Establishment of private business that will perfectly grow into a large company is the best. For me if I can establish a good business organisation I won't even look for opportunity to work for the government. Because I like business even more than the government work .

Business give you free time to do whatever you like as long as the business is growing .

Kendy

Verified member
I prefer governmental jobs to probate organisations. There is job security in government or public institutions. Those who work in government firms have an assurance when it comes to their jobs and some of them engage further in other business, which is the reason the system should always be checkmated to avoid ghost workers. In public organizations, there is more unity in diversity. In this case, if employees or public servants are not treated fairly; being owed salaries, lack of fringe benefits, unpaid arrears,and lack of promotion. The workers without fear or favour woul join their voices in unison through going on a peaceful protests to display their vote of no confidence on the government authorities and sooner or later, actions would be taken to make their demands before they situation gets out of control. Government jobs have benefits of pension and gratuities which is one of the best pay of the job. The assurance that even after service, you would still be paid pension and your gratuity would be paid in full is worth the job whereas in private organisations, there is no job security as you would always be careful and might even turn to a hypocrite just to maintain your job and there is no unity because one mindedness will be absent due to job insecurity. In most private organisations, there is no leverage of gratuity and pension.

Rachael

Verified member
Well, it depends on the country or the private or government job involved. There are some countries that the citizens are non-citizens would prefer to work in private organizations. There are some private organizations that pay and treat their staff well enough and even more than the public sector. Here in my country, a greater percentage of people would prefer to work in government organizations, now the reality is that, in some government sectors, the pay is not that much but because of some of the advantages it has over private sectors such as; job security, fringe benefits, pension and gratuities. Imagine, during the covid-19 pandemic, many private workers were sent back into the streets because they lost their jobs and this was glaring that most private sectors does not guarantee job security and ultimately do not care for the welfare of their workers.

Government jobs is preferable to me because of the high level of job security as it was evident during the chronic covid-19 pandemic, where workers in the public sectors were still having the leverage to receive their salaries, while on the other hand those in private sectors were either sacked or had their salaries slashed. In government jobs, there is freedom of speech and workers can embark on a strike if there are anomalies but in private sectors, everyone would either endure the situations or quit.

Ajebo25

Verified member
If you ask me I think I prefer the governmental job simply because it's a job which job can rely on unlike private jobs which I can be fired at anytime without notice.

E

eldavis

Both sectors have their advantages and as well disadvantage. When to comes to the government sector, alot of persons want to work with the government sector simply because of the higher or better pay. But in terms of competition and raw talent, there is a better chance of you growing your skills in a private sector.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I will go for a government job anytime, any day despite the salary range of any private corporation. I don't know but I always see any private job as a temporary job because there's nothing permanent about it. You can get fired at the job at anytime by the job owner. Even some firms give you their policies to read before hand and it is always boldly written that you can be laid off anytime. So people begin to work in fear and there will be a lot of eye service avoid untimely sack. but this is not the case with government jobs.

Government jobs are somewhat permanent and you can be in the employ for years with no threatening sack. You are better paid and you have your pension and gratuity at the end of the day. You have the right to report issues in the office to designated authority that can take up the issue. So it is a lot better than private jobs

Jasz

VIP Contributor
As the job market becomes more and more competitive, it is important for job seekers to be aware of their options.

One major benefit of working in the government is security. Government jobs are more guaranteed than private jobs because they have a smaller turnover. In other words, when there is a recession or a dip in the economy, government jobs are less likely to be cut than private sector jobs. Therefore, if you work for the government then you are likely to keep your job for a long time and even retire from it.

Another advantage of working in the public sector is that it has better benefits than the private sector. For example, public workers often get paid sick days and paid vacations while most private workers do not receive these benefits at all or they receive them only after working many years with an employer.

A third reason why you might want to consider working for the government is that there are many opportunities available within its walls! If you have skills and experience which can help others then this could prove invaluable when applying for promotions within an organization like ours - so don't miss out!

However, public job has its drawbacks too. But i do believe choosing any of it is based on individuals choice.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My friends in the US were proud to be federal employees. One who is employed in the post office earns more than a supervisor in the private company. That is well and good considering that their retirement pay would be good enough for their needs. In the Philippines it is the opposite that happens. Those who are working in government offices have a much lower salary than those working in the private companies. Sometimes I wonder why a teacher who passed the government board exam would teach in a public school with a salary that is lower than a private school teacher. I have a friend who teaches in a public high school. She said that it is her public service that counts which means she just loves her teaching job and not minding much the low salary. But for the others who are complaining of low salaries I guess they are to be blamed for working in a government office.

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you are looking forward to working on a stable job, if you want a long-term job, if you want financial security, if you want a good retirement plan, a government job is the ideal choice. However, if you do not see yourself working for the same job for a long time if you want to constantly change your profession, and if you are always looking forward to lucrative prospects, if you do not have nat preference for a retirement plan, private jobs will be a better option.
Government jobs are high paying, however, you will have to commit to long-term working. You might have to work for at least 20 years before you can get the benefits. A lot of people get bored by working on the same job for the long term. Unless you are working for big companies, corporations, international agencies, private jobs are never high paying. You will have to work for peanuts. Another drawback of a private job is you might also suffer from bully and harassment by your employer which might lead to mental health issues. You will also be constantly pressurized to perform better, you will have to meet the sales target or complete certain tasks.