Getting a job close to your home is a sound financial decision.

Etini

Valued Contributor
One expense that we tend to spend most of our money on is transportation to work. In fact, I always postulate that it the cost of your transportation is more that 15% of your pay, you are almost rendering services free of charge. That gives me rise to the need to get a job only within a distance that is close to where you stay.

It is a sound financial decision to only take jobs around the location of your residence because you could possibly trek to work and that expense on your salary is completely eliminated to allow you have 100% of your pay to use for meeting your needs.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Getting a job close to you home is certainly good because you save money on fuel (if you drive in your own car) or fare (if you take a public transport. You also save time. Even better is working from home, you save money for travel as well as time to travel to your work place. When I had a job I was spending around $90 per month on fuel but these days my fuel expenses is zero as I work form home, and I save more money.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Getting a job close to you home is certainly good because you save money on fuel (if you drive in your own car) or fare (if you take a public transport. You also save time. Even better is working from home, you save money for travel as well as time to travel to your work place. When I had a job I was spending around $90 per month on fuel but these days my fuel expenses is zero as I work form home, and I save more money.
It is not everyone that would be able to work from home though. I know that working from home even saves you the cost of having to constantly buy work clothes. If one can't work from home and is able to work close to home, that person would save a lot of money that would have been used to pay transportation fees.

Another cost it saves is that you can always have your lunch breaks at home instead of having to buy food gor lunch. Some people that work at far distance don't have time to be cooking at home to take to work and would end up having to buy lunch. But with working close to home, you can quickly dash home and fix lunch for yourself.