Employees with vices is a liability to the business

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In my job applications there was always the question if I am a smoker and if I drink alcoholic beverages and if I gamble. Those vices are frowned upon by the HR officers because there is a policy in big corporations against hiring employees with vices. Until now that policy is unwritten which means it is not explicit but it is enforced.

An employee who is a smoker wastes time in smoking. An employee who is a drinker of alcoholic drinks tends to develop a lazy mind. A gambler has the tendency to steal because gambling is all about money. I agree with the reasons for not hiring an applicant with vices. However, I can see that the unwritten policy is not strictly enforced.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There is no worker without vice, it may only be different. So, will they employ someone who doesn't do all what you listed but a promiscuous? No. This means we shoukd not be judging people based on their vices but what they can offer. I have seen a doctor that he only performs surgical operation brilliantly after smoking. What's bad is bad but not what are bad are bad.

Josemendez

Verified member
There is no company that will hire anyone with vices such as smoking , gambling and the rest because it will affect his performance in the company . HR Officers do not like giving those type of people opportunity in the company and thus it is demanding on them to either change or risk losing more jobs due to their life style .

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I don't really blame your employee because gamblers can do anything with the company's money if given the opportunity. It will also make you not to be devoted to your work as an employee. I don't really know for smokers because there is more cows that are focused in life but can't believe he is very bad hard and anyone who is involved in it may not be able to save any money.