Chemistry vs Chemical Engineering: What is the difference?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Chemistry and chemicals are generally concerned with the study, and nature of matter. It involves how matter relates with the environment and with themselves. I have to confess, back then in high school, I found chemistry to be a very abstract subject. I have a younger one who has been offered admission into two schools to pursue degree programs. One admission is for chemistry, the other is for chemical engineering. That has got us into a sort of quagmire. I want to understand the difference between chemistry and chemical engineering. Are the two courses the same or different from each other?

What are the career paths available for any of the two courses? Does the engineer do much more in working with chemicals than the chemist? All these questions are begging for answers. Which of the two courses should the young boy go for? Share your opinions Nd thoughts on this.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, also known as chemical engineering, are two very different fields of study. Chemistry seeks to understand the structure and behavior of matter at its most fundamental level. A chemist is an individual who studies the structure, properties, and reactivity of chemicals.

Chemical engineering applies chemistry’s fundamental knowledge to solve problems related to industrial processes. Chemical engineers design processes to use raw materials in a way that yields desired products. They design processes that produce valuable products from raw materials using energy sources such as heat, electricity and chemicals.

Chemistry focuses on understanding how chemical compounds interact with each other. In contrast, chemical engineering focuses on designing systems for producing useful products from raw materials using energy sources such as heat, electricity and chemicals. Chemical engineers are more concerned with how to apply chemistry laboratories in industry. They develop processes for manufacturing chemicals and materials, as well as products such as detergents and paints from raw materials.