As A Female, Can I Start A Barbing Salon Business?

Rachael

Verified member
I have been very optimistic about starting a business and I have interest in owning a barbing salon. My interest in this line of business began when we have electricity or power supply problems and I usually took my gadgets to the barber's shop nearby and at times, I would sit there and watch him do his job and I got captivated. I recall telling him once that I have interest in the business yet he burst out laughing. I felt somewhat ashamed because other male customers were there and all eyes turned right at my direction. It was as though they did not believe a woman should operate barbing salon business but I stood my ground and affirmed that I would engage in this business line and since then, even though I do not want to power my devices, I went there subsequently to watch the barber perform but presently, I got in contact with a male barber who has promised to teach me for free. Although I did not agree and insisted that I pay for it, because I want it to be on a more professional level. Right now, in the evenings, I still go there to watch all the activities required. Do you think this business line should be gender biased? After all, men are now into the beauty salon business as well.

There's a saying that 'what a man can do, a woman can do even better.' I do not see any business as being specified or restricted to a particular gender. It is important to venture into any business which you are passionate about. I see a lot a men who are now into; hair making, fixing and painting of nails, chefs, baby sitting. The greatest chef is even a man with expert culinary skills. Gone are those days where a job was seen particularly for a different gender. Women are also turning the table by engaging in businesses which was stereotypes for only men. Women are now; drivers, mechanics, barbers, pilot, engineers. There is no job or skill which both gender are not engaging. As for the Barbing salon business, I would advise that you put in your possible best to learn it from a professional so that you can set a high standard for your business. In my area, there is a female barbers and the number of customers she have per day is worth more than fifty. She has a special skill and can cut any style of hair because she learnt from a professional in Lagos of Nigeria before she returned to her city to make waves. Put your mind to it and do not be swayed.