Why are some office secretaries rude?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I have been to different offices in my country for one or two things that I needed to do and I have discovered that some of the office secretaries are rude and never consider being nice to customers at all.
When you see the way that they behave at times, it makes you wonder if you really did anything wrong or not and you just come to the conclusion that they could be frustrated and are just trying to transfer their aggression to you.

This is really affecting the progress of those companies that have such secretaries because someone who has come for a business deal could get discouraged and may decide to just go back without closing the deal, which is a big minus to the company as a whole.

What do you think could be the reason why these set of employees behave like this? I also observe that they always behave like that to job seekers and those who do not appear to be rich. Do you think it's good?

I have been to different offices in my country for one or two things that I needed to do and I have discovered that some of the office secretaries are rude and never consider being nice to customers at all.
When you see the way that they behave at times, it makes you wonder if you really did anything wrong or not and you just come to the conclusion that they could be frustrated and are just trying to transfer their aggression to you.

This is really affecting the progress of those companies that have such secretaries because someone who has come for a business deal could get discouraged and may decide to just go back without closing the deal, which is a big minus to the company as a whole.

What do you think could be the reason why these set of employees behave like this? I also observe that they always behave like that to job seekers and those who do not appear to be rich. Do you think it's good?
Definitely not. A rude employee can only bring bad image to the company and not do any good to them. I wonder why is it so there. Because we find it here that these people are trained professionally to be polite and gracious. Their job demands it and they are bound to do it because they chose this job.

There are many reasons why a person is rude. This can be a psychological issue and I don't think being rude is confined to office secretaries. But in fairness to you I have encountered a rude secretary in our office when I got my first job. It's a good thing that I have learned to be diplomatic in my ways so there was no problem.

There are many reasons why a person is rude. This can be a psychological issue and I don't think being rude is confined to office secretaries. But in fairness to you I have encountered a rude secretary in our office when I got my first job. It's a good thing that I have learned to be diplomatic in my ways so there was no problem.
I agree that rude people can be found anywhere and in any sector. People might be suffering from their psychological issues or may be going through a crisis period in their life and that may be causing the irritability and frustration. Another reason might be that they don't enjoy the job that they have landed in or might be underpaid. Whatever reasons it might be, when you are in a job you are expected to have some professional maturity. You have to keep your personal matters away from your professional life else it would be a mess.

Most at time people just judge book by cover. They will just look at your appearance or stature and be like what is he doing here? Is there that they star to treat some people bad but when that look at you and think differently their even fear to treat you bad.

This is everywhere and in most cases , maybe, the secretary is having issues or problems.

I might never get to know the main reason behind the rudeness of secretaries but this is something that is common in my country and I tend to think is due to lack of employment or job opportunities. In my country, I have come across a lot of secretaries and the thread beginner is not far from thee truth because most of them are very rude. The lack of jobs has probably made them display their uncultured attribute and some might be acting rudely because they are not afraid to loose their jobs. I met one particular lady who occupied such sensitive position and she was practically rude to everyone who approached her.

I wondered if she was tired of the job, then she could just resign without lashing out on innocent people but one day, her bad attribute caught up with her because some supervisors came quietly for inspection. In fact, it was an unannounced and impromptu inspection and with her usual manner of approach, one of the supervisors approached her and she displayed he ill mannerism. After the inspection had taken place quietly, she realized that her time was up because she resigned even before she had her appointment terminated.

It is true that there are so many company secretaries who are very rude. Which is something that is so bad because they are the ones in the front office and interact with most people who come in and out of the business.

Mostly, this is an issue of personal characters. There are some secretaries who are so good at handling people. But it seems that the majority of them are just arrogant and rude. Which shows just how much people don't develop themselves to be respectful and calm.

Another thing that makes secretaries to be rude is the frustration that many of them face when dealing with people they see daily. Many new people will arrive at the company or business and be so rude at the front office. It takes a strict and mean secretary to handle them. At the end of the day, these situations changes the secretary's character.

Some secretaries could also be just incompetent in their job. Some of them did not actually go for the secretarial training. They were just chosen for the job because of their looks and charm. So they are not really skilled at doing the job and handling people in the business.

The office position of a person is not necessarily tied to their behaviour. People have different character and attribute so we might also see rude bosses, doctors, engineers, etc. This is just their natural behaviour which can change when worked on. I have met with really amazing secretaries who were able to provide help to me.

I personally believe secretaries are a huge bedrock of a business and any business owner who is looking to employ one must critically evaluate the individual. With a rude secretary the company will decline in no distant time. People will feel offended and customers will seek their services somewhere else.

When you encounter a rude secretary you could be courageous enough to correct them. Have them understand their behaviour is bad. If they don't see your reasons then you can report them to higher authorities. I do not think any secretary will be happy about being reported. Anyone will feel threatened about the fact that their bad behaviour is going to take them out of job. So this could make the secretary in question change.

My only experience with a rude secretary was years ago. She was in the tech industry. I needed to repair my gadget but she wouldn't let me speak to the engineer because she feels I had been calling too much. I had to report her. A higher authority intervened and she apologized the next day.