Which would you choose between your religion and your job?

Etini

Valued Contributor
It is a well-known fact that the majority of the world's population believes in the existence of a supreme being who created the universe. Some people don't joke about their religious beliefs. What would you do if you are told to do something at work that compromises the beliefs of your religion? For instance, in my workplace as a teacher, I was asked to help the students answer questions in an external examination. That is against the moral standard of my religion and I refused. I was looked at with disdain by the management and other staff.

Imagine you are living out a career that you had always dreamt of. Then all of a sudden, you are required to do something that is against the morality of your religion. Would you stand for the job in the name of professionalism? Or would you place your religious inclination first? As for me, I would try to see where I can find a balance. If it can't balance, I would stick to my religion.

Kennysplash

Verified member
I don't think there should be a situation where one has to choose between religion and career. Career is what keeps you alive and pays for your bills, there is no way it should be competing with religion. We need to realize that religion won't feed us, even every religious book encourages working hard with our hands. Have you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings, not common men says the bible. I'm sure every other religion book says something like that respectively.
Although religion might alter what we should do and not do when it comes to our jobs and careers, as long as we are not doing anything illegal then you are good to go. Many people have lost great jobs and opportunities because of religion. If you know what you are doing you will not let it interfere with your source of livelihood.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I don't think there should be a situation where one has to choose between religion and career. Career is what keeps you alive and pays for your bills, there is no way it should be competing with religion. We need to realize that religion won't feed us, even every religious book encourages working hard with our hands. Have you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings, not common men says the bible. I'm sure every other religion book says something like that respectively.
Although religion might alter what we should do and not do when it comes to our jobs and careers, as long as we are not doing anything illegal then you are good to go. Many people have lost great jobs and opportunities because of religion. If you know what you are doing you will not let it interfere with your source of livelihood.
There are scenarios where people are being put in that dilemma of having to make a choice between sticking to religious dictates or professional rulings. I once worked in a company owned by a Pentecostal Christian. Some Jehovah Witnesses worked there too and they were forced to observe the national anthem which is strictly against their religious beliefs but it was one of the daily routines for the resumption of a working day in that organization

There was a case in Nigeria recently where employees of a popular bank protested that they were big allowed to go pray at noon as their religion stipulates. I couldn't blame the management of the organization much. That is the use of valuable working time for personal purposes. Some managers won't budge and would tell you straight up to make a choice between your job and your religion. What would you rather do in a situation like this?

Knowlopedia

Valued Contributor
There are a lot of different factors to consider when deciding whether to choose your religion or your job. It really depends on your personal beliefs and values. For some people, their religion is the most important thing in their life and they would never consider compromising their beliefs for a job. For others, their job is their top priority and they would be willing to make any necessary changes to their religious beliefs in order to keep their job. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide what is more important to them.

Heartstrings

If I am faced with such situation,after some explanations that my religion is against it and there is still a persistence that I do it, believe me I will quietly quit the job. I can't Because I have a job disrespect my religion. One thing with me is I don't because my source of livelihood do what my religion is against,it's better I walk away. So I believe it is the Choice of every individual to decide what they want and which is more of important.

This is one of the reason why I prefer to own my personal business or something, because I can't be working and when it's time I pray I won't be allowed to, that won't happen,I will gladly quit your job for you. There was a day I went to the back to renew my ATM,there were alot of queue,I was there till noon,I gladly left there and go look for where I can pray,then join the queue again,didn't take upto 10min. So personally I will rather stick to my religion than to please someone because of money.​

Carpon

Valued Contributor
I personally don't look forward to being in such a condition where some of my religious beliefs clash with rules at work. But you know most of the times, things like involving in some mischievous acts are both against work ethics and religious morals.

But I will not actually say I will choose this over the other and that makes me feel the topic of this thread is a bit weird. I place priority on each and everything I do and once I am faced with a situation whereby some of the things I am engaging in are going against my values, I uphold what is sane.

Religion and morality goes in line with work ethics and so I will say that anything coming up at work which is not in line with morals and common sense is also not in line with the rules and regulations of work place, and it could be some conspiracy that workers are doing. This's my view.

Activator230822

Verified member
As far as l am concerned, l am very concerned with my religion and the job too. In normal circumstances l wouldn't like the situation that my job wouldn't be compromised at all. This is because l really like my Christian religion and my Job.

Stany

You stand firm with with your Christian faith God our loving master will look for a good job for you.
You must at all times remain faithful.