What happenes when a manager become a rebel?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
No one will deny the fact that a good and competent manager drives the business well. The success and failure of a business depend on them. But what happens when a competent manager becomes rebellious?

I was with my uncle who's a business mogul and I asked him why he sacked his competent and hardworking manager and he told me that whenever I am into a business, I should make sure I sack a manager that have stayed for at least 10 years with me.

Just like you will be surprised, I was too, his argument was that a manager no matter how good and competent he is, when he stays too long, he will know the nook and cranny of the business and may be a sabotaour and a rebel.

I was convinced when I read of a petrol station manager that died when he was trying to scoop petrol from the underneath tank. The report claimed the man has been a manager for long and knew everything about the secret of the business.

While this may be wrong, I still believe in what he said.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think this is just about humans behavior not because of the business perse. Even as a friend, a friend that is very close and knows so much about you might just be the one that wants to spoil your name. So it is matter of the person involved. Not all workers will behave that way

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
That happened to me when I was managing my retailing business. My sales supervisor rebelled by using the phone for her personal calls which took an hour. I didn't know that she had the intention of leaving us. What I did was to suspend her for 2 days due to the bad attitude. She did not come back anymore which means her rebellious act was a plot to give her a valid reason to resign.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Sometimes that is how business managers do and of course they play a very important role for the success or failure or any business. There is a pharmacy shop close to my area, the owner of the business usually components that his work is always sell drugs at higher prices and this has made a lot of people to run away from the pharmacy store. It is therefore very important to employ people you trust.

funmi

Verified member
Well, what you said is true because some manager who has stayed too long in a business will know how to manoeuvre his way in the business. Once a manager becomes a rebel then the business is going to a point of no return. In this situation it is better to relief him or her of his duties as if you made him to retire.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Of course there are people managing a business that shouldn't be there in the first place. They handle the trivial issues with the strongest of fist and major issues with a kid glove. Managers are to be evaluated periodically and their accessment should be taken from samples from their subordinates and customers of the organization. Else the business will head for a total collapse.