What do you think about male Nurses?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is a common belief by so many people that nursing profession is a feminine profession and so men are not supposed to choose it as a career.
This is just one of the many misconceptions that people have about the nursing profession as a whole, because there are so many other misconceptions that people have about this profession.

I have read in some forums where people express their thoughts saying they won't allow a male nurse attend to them when in the hospital.

I am a nursing student in the university and there are also so many male students in the same department with me. It is not easy though, because so many people are already blinded by their vision of nursing profession being a feminine one and they would always ask us why we chose the nursing profession.
What do you think about men in the nursing profession?

I would love to read your thoughts about male Nurses.

arunima25

Verified member
Nursing is a profession and it's a noble profession. Well, it's a societal mindset and also cultural influences that makes us have such beliefs. Teaching younger children also is supposed to be more for ladies. But then people can choose the career if they are interested in it and feel that they can do justice to it. Your gender and sexual orientation should not matter. I had very good experience with male nurse

Sammyesx

It is normal for people to feel nursing is a feminine profession, because it is a generally belief that the female are better at caring and tenderness which is an important aspect of nursing. despite being a female dominated profession, the few males in the profession have proven to be as efficient as their female counterparts.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is normal for people to feel nursing is a feminine profession, because it is a generally belief that the female are better at caring and tenderness which is an important aspect of nursing. despite being a female dominated profession, the few males in the profession have proven to be as efficient as their female counterparts.
Thanks for your contribution. I do not usually blame those individuals with this kind of mindset because I personally grew up having such mindset and I was enlightened to know that it is not the way I thought it was. This makes everything really interesting and I believe more people need to be enlightened.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Their male nurses around in the hospital attending to patience. It is not necessary a profession for the female, not a feminine profession alone. Just that lots of female fancy it more than the male, no doubt. And when you go to the hospital lots of female nurses are the one you'll find. Cos they're well suited to care for the pregnant women and those who are suffering from one illness to the other, and also for those who needs medical attention.

arunima25

Verified member
It's in the societal mindset and the culture that we come from. When I was hospitalized in US after a procedure done on me, I was taken care of by two male nurses who took turn as day and night shifts. I was expecting a female nurse as my mindset was prejudiced. Even I was not comfortable to see those male nurses and had doubts. But they proved me wrong. They were so good with their job and took good care of me. They were dedicated and true professional in their behaviour. They changed my notion.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It's in the societal mindset and the culture that we come from. When I was hospitalized in US after a procedure done on me, I was taken care of by two male nurses who took turn as day and night shifts. I was expecting a female nurse as my mindset was prejudiced. Even I was not comfortable to see those male nurses and had doubts. But they proved me wrong. They were so good with their job and took good care of me. They were dedicated and true professional in their behaviour. They changed my notion.
I was really happy reading this. It is just the kind of things that some people watch in movies, and other media platforms that misrepresent things generally. There are also some people who have this mentality in Nigeria, though awareness is created to make sure that more people get enlightened.
Really nurses generally are trying hard, even though they don't get paid much in some countries.

arunima25

Verified member
I was really happy reading this. It is just the kind of things that some people watch in movies, and other media platforms that misrepresent things generally. There are also some people who have this mentality in Nigeria, though awareness is created to make sure that more people get enlightened.
Really nurses generally are trying hard, even though they don't get paid much in some countries.
Nursing is a noble job and requires a lot of dedication and hardwork. It's a service to mankind. It has to be a well paid job. But sadly it is not so the case in most developing countries. They are not well compensated. That is another main reason while many males don't opt for it despite of their interest there. Though double income family has become a culture around the globe in current time, men still are expected to be the main bread earner and provider in the family. So, they generally look for better paying jobs.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Took me some time before I realize the difference between being a doctor and a nurse. Just like you said, I always erroneously believe that male is the doctor while nurse is the female. In my own opinion, when we check the duty of a nurse which involves taking care of patients, I see it as feminine role than masculine. Female are naturally good at taking care of people compare to male.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Took me some time before I realize the difference between being a doctor and a nurse. Just like you said, I always erroneously believe that male is the doctor while nurse is the female. In my own opinion, when we check the duty of a nurse which involves taking care of patients, I see it as feminine role than masculine. Female are naturally good at taking care of people compare to male.
The scope of nursing is not limited to bedside care as you are thinking. There are other roles like in psychiatry, theaters, orthopedics and the likes. So males are very good in it too. This idea of men not being caring as women has been disapproved many times but patients who received care from male NURSEs.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
The scope of nursing is not limited to bedside care as you are thinking. There are other roles like in psychiatry, theaters, orthopedics and the likes. So males are very good in it too. This idea of men not being caring as women has been disapproved many times but patients who received care from male NURSEs.
Like I said, I may be wrong because I have never been treated by female doctor before. To be frank, I don't even know how I will be feeling when a female is examine me. I could remember I went to a chemist to examine myself and I told her that I needed a male to examine my private part, she only laughed and said when I am ready for treatment, I should let her know.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Like I said, I may be wrong because I have never been treated by female doctor before. To be frank, I don't even know how I will be feeling when a female is examine me. I could remember I went to a chemist to examine myself and I told her that I needed a male to examine my private part, she only laughed and said when I am ready for treatment, I should let her know.
Lol. It is not easy handling patients seriously. You just have to get used to the system because you never know what situation would warrant a female medic render care to you. Things like that do not really matter because they would treat you with high sense of professionalism and you won't feel bad at all.

arunima25

Verified member
I would agree that people have a gender preference when it comes to certain kind of examination and care. Makes feel comfortable with males and females prefer females. It is tough to come out of that mindset and see the whole thing as being completely professional. I have a male gynecologist and he is the best doctor and person I know of. I have referred my friends to him. But only two chose him and rest were okay to settle with mediocre female gynecologist over this wonderful male doctor. Though he is old and has his wife by his side for all examinations. But still many females are not comfortable.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have to admit that male nurses have a feminine projection for their image. But that was in my younger days. Now male nurses seem to dominate the medical scene as shown by news reports on tv regarding the covid patients. The male nurse has the advantage of his strength particularly in moving a patient on his bed.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
When I was young, I also used to view the nursing profession as a female profession. I guess it was because the many nurses I knew were all female. Then as I grew up, I got to know men who were also doing nursing and that is when I knew it was a profession for all genders. Nowadays, I don't see any problem being attended by a male nurse.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I don't see anything wrong with that, the most important thing that is needed of you in this is how skillful you are and how you can use your skill to change the life of people . the problem is that female nurses are more popular that is why a lot of people start believing that nursingis only for the people of a certain gender.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Hmm actually in my whole life while growing up and as kid, I had the impression and thought that nurses are generally females and there is no single male nurse because I thought the profession was reserved for females.

It is now that I am realizing that some of the medical personnel's I regarded as doctors are actually nurses and some which I regarded as nurses were actually doctors.

Even naturally the nursing profession is more attributable to females because of its nature and how the mental and psychological build up of females fits into the job.
But we as well have a lot of good male nurses which are doing even better than some of the female nurses.

But personally, I being a male have no zeal and desire to become a nurse. I am not saying the males in that profession are less of their gender or have made wrong choices. This is just my opinion.

arunima25

Verified member
Slowly we see that the societal mindset is changing. The gender preference for a job does still exist there. But now the society is being open minded and getting more accepting. Ladies are being welcomed and respected in jobs like Armed forces and science that once was the den of males only. Men are venturing into fashion, beauty etc that was once associated with feminine projections. These gender notions were there as society viewed a certain gender more suited for that job. Female were seen ss caretakers and nurturers, while male wers viewed as strong protectors and providers. But now that notion is changing, professions are getting more gender fluid. And society is becoming more accepting and appreciative about anyone breaking the stereotype.
Once I was admitted in hospital in the US with a life threatening accident. I stayed in the hospital for almost a month. I had few nurses taking care of me as they worked in shifts. It was the first time that I came across make nurses. I met two of them during that time. And they were quite good with their services. They were as good as their female counterparts. Now a days we see more and more male opting to become a nurse.

Nite

Valued Contributor
Male nurses aren't any different than female nurses. They get the same training, are given the same duties and responsibilities, and they have the same expectations of female nurses. Even their evaluations are the same. The only difference is that in some cases, the patient may be comfortable to get help from the same-sex nurse. It is just meant to keep the patient comfortable. Things have changing now. 50 years ago, it would be lucky to see a female medical trainee, now a days 60% of the medical applicants are women. The world is changing and most people are happy with that. The world should rather look at nurses as a whole without looking at the uniform they are wearing. For me, almost every profession should be open to both the genders equally. So just like female nurses, male nurses will be there to support your needs regardless of your, prejudices, condition, or any other beliefs.