The importance of connection

Lekhraj19

Verified member
Yes, connection is very much required to level up your career. As you know, skills are an important aspect in this world but also at the same time connections matter as sometimes with the help of connection I have seen people going to higher posts with respect to the people who have skills. So, if you have skills it's nice but if you have quite a few connections around the field you are in, it's always great. It suits most to the people who are working for a private corporation or business. There, the job market fluctuates with time and there for getting one of the best jobs at that point of time according to you, connection becomes important.

So, as we are involved in any sort of thing we should also be in contact with high officials too of that field.

Donkiz

This is very correct, lots of people have reached very high level in business, career, politics, etc. just because of who they know.

I remember few years ago when I applied for job in one of my country's federal government agency that deals in oil and gas, we were invited for a test which was the first step in the screening process. When the test results came out lots of people were dropped, while some of us were invited for interview. After the interview the successful ones were asked to come back in one week time for the last interview and collection of appointment letter if you are successful.

When we got to the location on that day, I noticed some faces that have not been part of all the processes we have passed through. The new guys joined us for the final interview, and they made up over 80% of those that were given appointment letters.

Not satisfied with the outcome, some of us approached the secretary and asked him if there was two screening centers, he said no, we then asked how come this new guys that got employed ahead of us that have been part of the process from day one, he replied that he doesn't know how that happened, then went ahead to make a statement that I will never forget, he said "in this country, it's not about what you know, it's who you know".

Makah

Connection is needed in everything in this world. Through connection we get things things easily we get recommend and opportunity,job offers and lots more.
That's why we should never look down on any one because they might have the connection you don't have and once you do bad to them all good things from there side will be blocked
And always respect everybody even those who you senior and junior
Give everybody the respect they deserve

Ralphjoe

It is true that we need connection in all that we do so that we can get good recommendations in getting good jobs opportunities, good business deals and great breakthroughs in our general life. The truth is that we are here for all of us so we need good connections with all people that will come across with, keeping good relationships with everyone that will come across with, is a good requirement to making good connection in life.

leejay

There is this saying: those who crown Kings don't look like Kings. Sometimes there are people that we will normally look down on, but have the connection needed for us to go higher in life. There is an example of a cab driver who used to drive a bank manager's kids to school. This driver helped a graduate to secure a job in the bank, simply because he recommended the graduate to the manager. So we should not look down on anybody because they might know people who can make our lives better. These people might not have the best paying job, but they have helped others secure one. They can crown Kings, though they don't look like one.
So let's learn to treat people equally, they might be the key to our future.

Obi kaka

Research shows us that loneliness is on the rise, and that a lack of human connection can be more harmful to your health than obesity, smoking and high blood pressure.

In today’s age, we live busy lives, trying to strike a balance between work, school, hobbies, self-care and more. Often, our social connections fall by the wayside. But connecting with others is more important than you might think. Social connection can lower anxiety and depression, help us regulate our emotions, lead to higher self-esteem and empathy, and actually improve our immune systems. By neglecting our need to connect, we put our health at risk.

The reality is that we’re living in a time of true disconnection. While technology seems to connect us more than ever, the screens around us disconnect us from nature, from ourselves, and from others. Wi-Fi alone isn’t enough to fulfill our social needs – we need face-to-face interaction to thrive. Technology should be enhancing our connection to others, not replacing it.

Our inherent need for human connection doesn’t mean that every introvert must become a social butterfly. Having human connection can look different for each person. And if you’re not sure where to start in finding meaningful connection, that’s okay.

IamDozzy

Having Connections and not just any connection but Quality connection is very important in third world countries like Nigeria. This is because nepotism is very rampant in these countries and some companies would rather employ or promote based on familiarity rather than on merit. This is very bad for a developing country if you ask me. But a person that finds networking fascinating can easily get connected to the high and mighty in a society. There are some kind of doors that knowing somebody that knows somebody can open

Nii41

The importance of connection cannot be overemphazied. We all need connection. That is why one has to be open to meet new people and make friends, because that person might just be your helper at a certain point of your life. Whether you need a job, or you need to fast track something that would normally take time. Friends come in handy and it is very important to build relationships with people. Life becomes easier when you have people in different sectors that you can reach out to when you need help. Another important point is to not look down on others because that person u feel is nothing can be your saving grace someday.

Maven Tiger

There is this saying: those who crown Kings don't look like Kings. Sometimes there are people that we will normally look down on, but have the connection needed for us to go higher in life. There is an example of a cab driver who used to drive a bank manager's kids to school. This driver helped a graduate to secure a job in the bank, simply because he recommended the graduate to the manager. So we should not look down on anybody because they might know people who can make our lives better. These people might not have the best paying job, but they have helped others secure one. They can crown Kings, though they don't look like one.
Respecting one another should be the norm of our dear society and the merits attached to such existence in a society will help achieve a united country.
A society that lack respect for one another will value no co- existence and overlook the importance unity, respect and equality which are fundamentals to achieve inclusive growth in any country.

Jonaville

btaliat

VIP Contributor
King makers at times don't look like kings. We have met different people in our life that we adjudged wrongly basically because the way they dressed or the situation we met them. But life has gone beyond developing your intelligent quotence alone. You need to enlarge your circle too. Make sure you relate with people. The person that introduced me to all these get to paid forum was met online and even till now, we haven't met. But the person will always be on my mind. And I will strive hard to meet him in person. That's how we connect and make impact. You can do it all alone.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
In every thing we all need one connection or the other to attain a greatness. Some time when you have a connection to the right source you will not have to struggle to do things like when you want to startup a business and you don't have anybody to support you or back you up it well be very difficult some times to rise.
Therefore connection if very important in ones life.

Peppul

Well in this country nigeria you need connection especially if you want to get things done quickly like securing a job, getting a contract and others. Well I particularly am a living example of this, even though I don't have a huge collection of people that can connect me. There was a time in my school days I was writing my final exams, it was remaining just two papers for me to round up and graduate, fortunately I fell sick and couldn't write them, after recovering I was told without those two courses I won't be able to graduate even though I told my hod that I was sick. Luckily for me I informed my dad and I never knew he knows the VC of the university, he made a call through to him and explained everything to him, instantly the VC called my hod that am like a son to him that they should wave those courses for me, and they did. I just went back to my department and compensated my hod with the course lecturers a bottle of wine each and was given my result without wringing the papers again. If I didn't have that connection would have wasted another year in school again. So it's good to have connection.

Nii41

So true. I know of a guy who was looking for an nysc placement in a company and he went there to apply without knowing anybody. As he got there, he spoke to the security man there, and the security man told him not to worry that he will help him. That was how he got the job at the company. It is not worth it having pride. That person you are looking down on might just be your helper tomorrow. It is important to be nice to everyone you come across on life.

D

Deleted member 27583

I agree with you on this topic you brought here. And I thank God almighty for the kind of human he made me. I don't like to look down on anybody and I always treat everybody equal right...
So it get to some certain stage of my life,that its now getting to affect me mentally . Due to the fact that for example, if I have money now and I saw something to buy but am not the only one by that time ,and the money with me is too little that could only get mine alone. I won't buy it or sometime I decided to buy but share with the person beside me ...
So at times people take me for granted on that,because why I said that,I saw a friend of mine saying he don't have money with him when we are together ,but the moment I left him that am going back to my house,and I forgot something in his house so I have to go back but gotten back shocked me...
I saw him buying things for him self and his girlfriend... Although that doesn't stop me from my attitude towards all humans but just have to say this as well... Thanks

greatguy1

Connection; popular local networking is as important in business as having a CV. Who you know and how you know who you know depends how far you go in life. It also means that you should watch the friends you keep. The network or connection you need in the next 3 or 5 years is largely dependent on the kind of friends that you move out with or the friends that you keep. Be they're watching the friends you keep.

Kennysplash

Verified member
One thing I have learned in life is never to look down on anyone. You never know who will be your helper. That poor old man across the street can do a lot for you that you might never imagine. The average woman doing house help can help you reach high places. So never look down on anyone, treat the servant the same way you will treat the CEO. Most times help does not come the way we expect it, if you don't treat people well you don't know what you might be missing.

Sanmight

This is a good lesson to learn. Many people are angels in disguise that can help to fast track achieving our long aspired dreams, we need to start seeing people around us beyond what we presupposed as their face values.

Beyond our expectations, they may be the one proferring solutions to those puzzles we have faced in life and have been seeking answers to them.