The Connection Between Weight And Snoring

Trillionphil

Although there are millions of us that have a problem with snoring at night, there are very few of us that actually understand how it is caused. Believe it or not, understanding the causes behind your snoring can help you to overcome it. If you are simply listening to suggestions that may come from you at every angle in order to help you with your snoring, it is very unlikely that you're going to be able to do anything effective with it.

Snoring is typically caused by an obstruction in the soft palate of the throat area, typically because this area is relaxing while we are sleeping. One way that it can be increased, however, is if we are carrying additional weight on our body. Not only can this be bad for us in a lot of different ways, it can also increase the amount of snoring that we do because it helps to obstruct the area further. If you really want to be able to stop snoring, the first thing that you should do is to reduce the amount of weight that you are carrying around on your body.

I'm sure that you have heard this your entire life but in order to lose weight, you need to have a proper combination of diet and exercise. Simply trying to lose weight by reducing the amount of calories that you eat can work to a certain extent but it is highly unlikely that it will work for the long term. If you are suffering from snoring as a result of having too much weight on your body, you might be surprised to learn that it can be a life-threatening problem. Sleep apnea is when you stop breathing periodically through the night and this can be a direct result of additional weight on your body. Use that as a motivation if necessary to get out and exercise a little bit along with your diet.

Not only is diet and exercise going to help you with your snoring problem, it is going to help you to feel better overall. Exercising on a regular basis will reduce the amount of stress that you feel during the day and this can also help to reduce the amount of snoring that you do at night. There are so many benefits that come from losing weight if we are carrying too much of it around. Although snoring is certainly one of the great benefits that we can receive, there are also other benefits which may outweigh it.​

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I know there's a connection between snoring and weight because I have noticed that people that are fat snores a lot. Your explanation here has helped me understand the connection better

I think this set of people will need to be educated about having excess weight which makes them snore. It seems a lot thinks it a natural process and there's nothing they can do about it.

For those that snores because of their weight I think the two best ways out is exercising and portion control. I don't advocate taking of drugs or pills for weight loss because they don't last but exercising regularly and eating less calories can help and in turn reduce their weight to keep them from snoring.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Yes I know weight is one of the things that can contribute to snoring but you do not have to take your health into your hand,so it is advisable that we sick the help of a qualified medical doctor because they will be the one to help us with some of the things that you need to be able to be free from snoring and other sleep-related disease.