Should You Choose Self-employment?

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Self-employment means you work and make money without being in the payroll of any company. You might work for companies but you are not a regular staff.

Here are few examples..

You don’t work in Amazon warehouse, instead you do FBA or Amazon Merch.

You don’t work in the New York Times, instead, you freelance for multiple newspapers.

You are not employed by Google but you use Google Adsense to make money through blogs and vlogs.

If you are interested in self-employment, when should you choose self-employment?

If you want to become self-employed, you need to be highly skills and have a lot of experience to convince companies and individuals to hire you for short term work.

Never quit a job to become self-employed until you have already started making some money from your side hustle.

Never choose to become self-employed until you have savings that can pay your bills for 4-5 months.

If you fulfill these conditions, you are ready to go.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yes one will always be good to go if they follow this post. it isn't even wise to quit an offline job if you can combine it with your online job. For me I will do the two if I'm opportune to do both. This is about having multiple streams of income which is the right thing to do.

I know being self employed always sounds good, you do your jobs at your own pace and time but if it is not consistent it might become difficult to meet your financial obligations. The truth is that whether we make money daily or not out bills come in daily. If for nothing else you would need to eat at least twice daily and this cost money.

Like in Nigeria now, eating good food now cost good money. So you need to always make money to cover your food cost daily. So don't quit your job for side hustle without being sure of it.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
It's not really easy , but sometimes a lot of people may take a risks to become a self-employed individual and start-up any business they are interested even without meeting of all demands you mentioned above.. Obviously there are so many benefits that comes with being self-employed and one of the benefit is the fact that you can be able to work on your spare time and employ in other people to take care of your responsibilities while you concentrate in your life or do other things that interest you.

No matter What May happen , anyone that is interested to establish any business to be self-employed must have the required money needed to start up the business . Because in most cases some business could be very dangerous and could possibly lead to failure if the required money needed to start it up successfully is not available because of the high demands for capital.

Last edited:

Mika

VIP Contributor
I am a self-employed professional, however, I never wanted to become self-employed. I was really happy with my job, I was also quite satisfied with my salary, I was not only paying my bills but also managed to save money and invest money. And then Corona happened. I was laid off and never called back to the job. When I did not have work to do, I started looking for self-employment opportunities, that's how I started working online as a freelancer. When I started working online, I already had enough money to pay my bills for 3-4 months. I started generating income before I ran out of savings. These days I work more hours than I used when I had a job but I still do not earn as much as I used to from my job. Well, in some months, I do make really well, but in some months I don't.