Self-employed or working for someone, which do you prefer?

AfriPeeps Official

When it comes to being employed, it's either you are self employed or you work for someone, the ball is in your court to choose but what does it mean to be self employe. Self-employed people earn a living by working for themselves, not as employees of someone else or as owners (shareholders) of a corporation. But there are various definitions of "self-employed" that vary slightly.
As for me, I prefer to be self employed than to work for someone else, below are reasons why I prefer to be self employed.

Creative freedom - By going self-employed I will be fully in charge of the decision-making. I will have the freedom to Check out a number of creative solutions to problems that arise either in the business or in my own personal life.

Independence - Being self employed has given me the opportunity to set my own time, for example I can decide to stay back home and do things I consider to be more important, you can't do that if you are working for someone.

Job satisfaction - There is this satisfaction you experience when you achieve things all by yourself, plus you also have the autonomy to do the things you love most.

Earnings - One truth is that your earning potential is much higher when self-employed - everything is in your hands, this simply means that you can take on more work at various times of the day.

Variety - Because I am self-employed, I have gained the opportunity to work on a range of projects with a number of clients and develop new skills.

So over to you, which do you prefer, to be self employed or to work under someone?

There are many reasons why working for oneself may not be good option despite the fact that there are many people that prefer working for themselves. Below are the reasons why I think it is better to work for someone at least for sometime.

Laziness: naturally, an average person is lazy. We all oohe comfort. We are only hardworking maybe we have some responsibilities to settle or we are being monitored by maybe superior. In as much there is no one supervising us while working for ourselves, we tend to being lazy.

Entrepreneurship skill: not everybody is good at entrepreneurial skill. Most people are just there just because they don't want to be someone else servant. There are at times, there are many people out there that are not successful as entrepreneurs.

Profit is not static: there is no consistent profit in entrepreneurship. Not all the time is meant to be a rainy day for an entrepreneur. There are some times when he may even run into losses. There is nothing concern someone that works for someone else with that. He's expecting his salary at the end of the month even if the company runs into losses.

There are many reasons why working for oneself may not be good option despite the fact that there are many people that prefer working for themselves. Below are the reasons why I think it is better to work for someone at least for sometime.

Laziness: naturally, an average person is lazy. We all oohe comfort. We are only hardworking maybe we have some responsibilities to settle or we are being monitored by maybe superior. In as much there is no one supervising us while working for ourselves, we tend to being lazy.

Entrepreneurship skill: not everybody is good at entrepreneurial skill. Most people are just there just because they don't want to be someone else servant. There are at times, there are many people out there that are not successful as entrepreneurs.

Profit is not static: there is no consistent profit in entrepreneurship. Not all the time is meant to be a rainy day for an entrepreneur. There are some times when he may even run into losses. There is nothing concern someone that works for someone else with that. He's expecting his salary at the end of the month even if the company runs into losses.

Well, I do not see any disadvantages associated with being a self-employed person. Even if there are a few disadvantages of being self-employed, I would assume that benefits of being a self-employed individual outweigh the drawbacks. As far as being lazy is concerned, I think that it is a personal choice. Just because if a person is working for someone else, this does not mean that such a person is not lazy at all. Some people are habitually lazy. In fact, many self-employed people are far much more active than many people who work for others. As far as skills are concerned, many employed people work for their entire life, but still they never gain those skills that are required to become entrepreneurs.

In fact, many self-employed people become great entrepreneurs later on because they have those skills to lead themselves rather than being led by others. As far as profitability is concerned, I would believe that just because a person is working for someone else, it would not guarantee steady income all the time. When a person works for a company, that company would fire that salaried person at any time. In fact, this is what happened during pandemic. On the contrary, many self-employed freelancers were unaffected by the pandemic. What's quite ironic is the fact that many salaried people actually became freelancers during the pandemic!

As a human being who is growing daily, learning daily and facing challenges on a daily basis as well, I have come to realize that not everyone has the potentials of being self-employed even if the wish to becoming an entrepreneur someday. Working under the auspices and control of someone is not bad as this would help you to get the needed training and experience which would be useful in setting up your own business or establishment. However, working under someone who is self domineering and has no regard for his employees or apprentice can be so degrading and can even impede on your psychological sanity and your fundamental human rights as well.

Personally, I would want to be self-employed but there are some barriers presently such as finance which has been the major impediment obstructing the flow of such dreams to its reality. For now, I'm working as an apprentice by registering for sewing classes which would help me in the future when I establish my fashion house. Although, I will still register for a proper fashion school when I have saved enough but for now I utilize the available traditional classes which is more cost-effective and also accessible.