Managing your Energy at Workplace

raaman

Valued Contributor
Managing your Energy at Workplace.

If you wanted to prepare to run a marathon, you would start training small. You would set goals, but within your limits, and never push yourself too hard to avoid injury or burnout. You would know when to relax, rest and recover, and when to pick up speed. You would run in intervals based on energy highs and lows.

You would listen to your mind, your body and your spirit. If your energy dropped, you would slow down to a walk or stop altogether so you could stretch, take breaks, and recharge yourself to start afresh. You would know how to manage energy efficiently. But you are not going to run a marathon.

Just like everyone else, you are living your life and working hard. As you know, life is not a race. It is a marathon. Therefore, you have to know what you can do to have more energy at work. Of course, there are practical tips for this. It is important to know how to manage work energy.

Energy is described as the power and vitality required for continued physical or mental activity. Often the job falls into one of two categories, depending on what you do for a living. If you look at it from that angle, energy is the strength and vitality you need to work.

D

Deleted member 28127

content out of context
Your comparison between work and marathons is good because practicing sports during breaks may avoid the stress of work and you could continue to do your best after the end of the break.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This reminds me of my father who used to work in the major newspaper called Manila Times. It was the top newspaper that my father, who was assigned in the printing department, would be working overtime every day. That was the time when my parents built our home that there were debts to be paid so my father would work until midnight. I remember the days when my father would go home on a Sunday just to get new clothes. His overtime pay was good enough for the bills and the debts. Fortunately my father did not get sick because he was diligent with his diet of milk in the morning and enough food during meals. I remember him telling our mother that his overtime work is from 6 pm to midnight. His working hours is from 8 am to 5 pm. So you can see that he was able to get enough rest because he stays in the workplace, he eats his meals there and he sleeps in the stock room.

Kendy

Verified member
This is where overtime comes into the context. As an employer or an employer, managing your energy at the workplace shouldn't be compromised except if there are fringe benefits. Energy is obviously the ability to do work and when this energy is sapped completely, the work done would be ineffective.

It is pertinent for all organisations to inculcate in-between breaks at work to make the employees and the Managers as well to stretch their bones, have tea breaks, lunch breaks and have healthy conversations outside work duties which can spark comedy. If these are done, the energy would be revived to foster greater worker's efficiency and productivity.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Well, I do not think that we should consider our efforts and competition with our colleagues or co-workers as a "Marathon". many people tend to make themselves better from others and I think this is the mistake they make. I do not think that people should compare themselves with other at all in the first place. In fact, people must try to improve themselves and make themselves better and this is the real triumph. I think the best way to "energize" yourself is to motivate yourself in the workplace.

I also agree with you that the company must also provide some sort of extraordinary and entertaining activities so that employees could take their mind off work for some time and relax. This is why many companies tend to organize many events that could refresh the minds of employees. I used to work at a place where the manager used to deliver a 30 minute lecture, which was totally irrelevant and useless. I personally do not think that such kind of techniques work to "energize" your employees at all. In fact, the manager must address the basic problems in each and every employee and try to find the way to resolve those issues.