Making Money on Your Blog: CPC Ads Vs CPM Ads

Mika

VIP Contributor
For a lot of bloggers Adsense is the ideal choice for monetization. Adsense is basically a CPC ad network. In other words, you will earn for clicks. You can also earn for impression but Adsense is mainly a Pay Per Click advertising network for publishers.

CPM ads are also a popular monetization solution for bloggers and website owners. CPM ads pay for impressions. Your visitors do not have to engage in your ads for you to earn. You don’t require clicks or any other engagements to earn.

Looks like CPM is a better choice. But it is not.

IN order to earn from CPM, you need traffic from tier one countries. They offer higher CPM rate for the traffic from US and Canada. For the traffic from tier three countries, the CPM rate is very low. Since CPC ads pay you for every legitimate clicks, you have a higher chance of earning with CPC ads. However, you can earn only when visitors engage on your ads.

Adsense and the ad networks that are adsense resellers use CPC model. For example Adsense, media,net, Infolinks all are CPC ad network. They also pay for CPM, however, they are mainly CPC ads.

Most of the CPM ads (ad network that offer only CPM ads) are pop up or pop under ads. For example, Propeller ads is a popular CPM ads and it is pop under ad network.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
A friend who advised me to revive my blogs said that the more visitors I get on my blog then the more impression that it can create. I didn't quite understand the impression until I have read that the impression is like a reader was reading the ads but not clicking on it. All the while I thought the ad needs to be clicked to earn.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I have always thought that CPM is always much more profitable earning model. This is because this model actually guarantees earning if your blog or website is generating enough traffic and your monthly income is fixed. CPC model is actually dependent upon how many people click on the ads on your website and this model does not actually guarantees a fixed income.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I sell ad space on my website and my charge is based on cost per day. Based on the ad spot, header footer and sidebar I charge between 50 cents to $1 per day. I also run network ads but I do not run CPM ads. Instead of CPM ads I use CPC ads.