Is it right your staff being friends with a competitors staff?

Etini

Valued Contributor
There is a scenario I witnessed recently. There are two gas stations owned by two different people. They are competitors The twist is that the two staff that are managers at the two gas stations are good friends. They alternate days for visiting each other at their respective offices. The owner of one of the gas stations has cautioned his staff to cut the friendship. I know the world of business is very hostile but should it go as far as the staff? Can't a staff of a company be a friend to the staff of another company who are dealing in the same product.

I think business rivalry should not be taken as far as the private life of the employees. There should be free to associate and make friends who tickle their fancy irrespective of where they work. Competition in business is good but not to be taken too far.

First and foremost they are humans before being your staff, i do not think it actually makes any from of sense for two persons to not be on talking terms simply because of work. As long as their relationship does not affect where they work or they do not share any vital information about their various companies then they are good to go.

I don't see anything wrong with two staffs of rival business being friends especially if they have been friends long before they started working. In the scenario you gave above, i feel the employer is wrong to ask his employee to cut ties with his friend just because his friend works in the rival gas station. You can ask one to cut off ties with another person just because they work for you and especially if they are not doing anything wrong to harm your business. An employer does not have the right to interfere in your employees personal life. Business shouldn't have anything to do with personal relationships. I've even heard of stories where couples are rivals when it comes to business but live happily when they get home.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it depends on the situation and the relationship between the two staff members. If the staff members are friends outside of work, then there is no harm in them being friends with a competitor's staff. However, if the staff members are friends because they are sharing confidential information or working together to disadvantage the company, then this could be an issue.

It is important to encourage a healthy level of competition between staff members, as this can help to drive performance and motivation. However, if staff members are becoming too friendly with a competitor's staff, then this could impact the company's competitive advantage.

Finally, it is worth considering the impact of social media on this issue. If staff members are friends with a competitor's staff on social media, then this could lead to the sharing of confidential information or company secrets. Therefore, it is important to monitor social media activity and to set clear guidelines on what is acceptable and what is not.