Is it Good to be Taking Medicine on a Full or Empty Stomach?.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Sometimes whenever one is trying to take medicine people usually do say that its not good to take it with empty stomach.

I do remember that whenever I want to take drug my grandma usually tell me that; if it is just little food that is should try and take.

But I want to say that ; Some medicines work best when you take them on an empty stomach - that is, one hour before meals.

Other medicines are less likely to cause upset stomach or heartburn ( chest pain ) when taken along with a meal or right afterwards.

TAKE THESE MEDICINES 1 HOUR BEFORE MEALS:
- You can use penicillin before meal
  • You can use ampicilline before meal.
  • You can use tetracycline before meal.

It is better not to drink milk an hour before or after taking tetracycline.

TAKE THESE MEDICINES GOGETHER WITH OR SOON AFTRT MEALS( OR WITH A LOT OF WATER):

- It is very good to take aspirin and medicine that contains aspirin after meal or together with meal.

- Take Iron ( ferrous sulfate) with meal.

- vitamins

- Erythromycin

Antacids do the most good if you take them when the stomach is empty, 1 or 2 hours after meals and at bedtime.

Note: It is best yo take medicines while you are standing or sitting up. Also , try to drink a glass of water each time you take a medicine. If you are taking a sulfa medicine, it is important to drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day, to prevent damage to the kidneys.

How did you see taking medicine on a Full or Empty Stomach.

Thanks for this information. But while writing some as sensitive and this, there is need to back it up with medical evidence. This is because some may test sll what the poster wrote. So in order for the readers to be certified and for the writer to be very professional, there is need to at least give references to where we can find or read more about this.

I have noticed that taking drugs on empty stomach could be more effective because the drug could dissolve in a much better way as compared to taking medicines on full stomach. In the end I also think that the issue of taking medicines is not that straightforward because of various factors. I believe that the potency of the medicine also plays a role. If you take a medicine with higher potency then it will have a stronger effect even if you take it on full stomach, but if you take a higher power medicine on empty stomach, then it will have its maximum effect on your body by the passage of time.

Thirdly, I also think that the timing of taking medicines also have a huge effect on its efficiency. Some studies have suggested that taking blood pressure medicines at night is much more beneficial for you as compared to taking it in the day. I think you should talk to your doctor and he or she might guide you about it if you believe that certain medicines are not working for you. Your doctor might change the potency or medicine in the end if he or she thinks that it is not working.

Taking of drugs in an empty stomach will only help the drugs acts faster because there is nothing like food that can help to slow down the Action process of the drugs, but in general taking of drugs in an empty stomach may not really be advisable by medical personnel depending on the type of drugs.. There are some strong drugs that will need food to help you have they required energy that the body will need to withstand it , At any situation in which a person takes a drugs in an empty stomach might leads to imbalance, dizziness, general body weakness and other similar symptoms..

My best advice is that anyone that is interested in taking drugs should rather consider to take it when there is food because of the side effects it has.

When taking a drug it is also very important for us to seek the help of a medical doctor concerning the type of drugs you are taking , but I am very sure i 85% of doctors will always advise that you take every drugs after eating.. when drugs are prescribs to me if i am sick, I am always advised to take it after meal.