Is it a Waste to Learn a Trade After Acquiring a Bachelors Degree?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
A bachelors degree is a valuable investment, but it's not the only way to succeed in life. If you're just looking to make money, then yes, it's a waste of time. If you're looking to learn something and have fun doing it, then no!

You can get a job with a bachelors degree pretty much anywhere in the country. But if you want to be able to go anywhere in the world with your skillset, and make more money than anyone else around you, then consider learning a trade.

There are plenty of trades out there that will allow you to travel the world while making more money than your peers who held on to their college degrees. Here are just a few examples:

-Truck driving
-HVAC technician (heating ventilation air conditioning)
-Plumbing technician
-Electrician
-Cook
-Masonry

Trade schools offer real-world experience that can't be taught in a classroom environment, and they offer hands-on training that's completely different from what you'd get at a traditional university.

And while this might sound like an endorsement of trade schools over four-year colleges, we're not saying one is better than the other, they're just different. A college education prepares students for careers in fields such as business or science; a trade school can help you prepare for a job as an electrician or carpenter. College may be right for some people but not right for others; trade school may be right for some people but not right for others.

Due to the current situation of the country a person with such the dream I not even get a job that can satisfy his test many graduates out there are we partners degree but they still haven't gotten anything to prove it from such degrees due to the situation in the country. And there is not bad when some person requires skill only trim are as you have written above skills like electrician plumbing cooking, fashion designing are some of the skills and procedures that would enable him make ends meet because many graduates are out there looking for jobs but they don't have money to take care of their physical and material needs but with the skill one can generate in which he can Carter for his needs both material and physically are also save for future use as well. Many people see this acquiring of skill as stressful and putting one in low class but in the current situation of the country and person needs to strike strive hard to survive and that is why it is advisable to acquire a skill or a trade.

It is not a waste to learn a trade after acquiring a bachelors degree. This is because learning a trade will provide you with skills that are highly sought-after by employers, as well as valuable knowledge that can be used in many different sectors. The skills you will acquire while working in a trade include carpentry, plumbing, welding, and masonry and others. These are all skills which have been identified as being in high demand by employers.

As well as these practical skills, you will also gain valuable knowledge about how businesses run and how to operate machinery safely. This could then be transferred into many different sectors including construction, manufacturing, engineering and more! So if you are thinking about going down this path then don't worry about whether or not it is worth it, it definitely is.

Although, you can move on with acquiring a job with your degree, if you have opportunity, and the job is worth it. In so many companies, they will put you through on how to executive some practical tasks. If you are a fast learner, you can adapt easily by paying attention to those things done by the technicians.

I like the fact that a lot of graduates are coming to terms with the fact that life can still go on without a white collar job, you don't have to wait for state or federal government jobs if they are not forth coming. Stand up and begin to do other things that can help you make money. This is where learning trades come in and one good thing about trades is that you can easily become your own boss. So you wouldn't need to continue job hunting especially when you are really good with the trade.

My cousin left school 5 years back and started job hunting to no avail, so she went enrol in a sewing school to learn how to sew and today it seems that was the best decision she took for her life. She doesn't only have a big fashion house but also a fashion school that is making good money from teaching others. So she is even regretting why she wasted the 5 years prior to this just job hunting and getting insulted and embarrassed by security officers.

So bottomline is that while you are acquiring your degree, you can add learning a trade to it.

It is true that it is good to acquire a bachelor's degree but it is not necessary. Also there are top men like facebook owner Mark Zukaberg, he withdraw from school when he was in 100 level to concentrate on Facebook as I heard the story. Maybe he has later enrolled in a course after he is successful with Facebook. But of we look at him now, we will see that he is now among the top riches men in this world.

When we also look at this world current situation. We will see that there are very few job available. And there are lots of graduates every year but the jobs available can not reach the all.

In my environment there are many graduates that don't have job. And many of them have learnt a skill, while some are still learning. Some are even going some jobs that is not meant for graduates. But what will they do other than do the jobs.

Apart from that. This world is no more a generation that will ask of your certificate before you get employed. What they will ask now is what you know, which is your skills. So it is better to learn a skill first even if we still want to go to a university

No, it can never be a waste to learn trade after even been a professor. Education has no bad impact on business but many of the graduate see this as a shameful way to make money. To me that is what I see, there are so many university graduates that are jobless and not employed but they see trading as something that is below their level.

The truth is maybe you are not from the country that you can get employed after you complete university or after you become a graduate therefore you can start something of your own if the government of your country is not helping the university graduates in your country. It is better to start something than to stay home jobless. What I can tell you is never be ashamed of the work or job will do for living no matter your education level. Some times people make the wrong discission in life without their notice. Maybe you are to be a trader as your destiny tell but to just jumped into education which is not helping you so nothing is wrong if you get back to your root. Education is good as well as business is also good.

Their are courses in the college you'll do and gain expertise in it, you don't need to waste time to start afresh learning the common skills which you mentioned here. All you just need to do is, advance and gain more knowledge about the field of study you studied in the university. We have lots of technical courses, which one can study and come out with flying colors, you don't even need the government to give you job. Courses like, architecture, electrical engineering, computer software/hardware, law, medicine and surgery etc. With all this courses I mentioned do you need to walk down low to learn the skills you mentioned? I don't think it is right for the person that spent time to acquire any of those skills in the university, what's required is for the person to advance, and get more knowledge per the course studied in the university to function expertly when he or she is needed.

But when you didn't go through a course that is skilled, you'll struggle to make money from it. That's why it is advised to choose a course that is skilled, so the individual makes use of it to fend for his or her needs.

I am really surprised when I read or discussion like this where the participants put more importance on things other than education. First of all, you need to understand what exactly is education. Education does not only mean gathering certificates, education means gaining knowledge learning skills, and building expertise. Well, if you drive a truck, or work as an electrician, plumber, or mason you are basically doing blue color jobs, you are tiring your ass to earn a small amount. If you graduate in microbiology, you can work in a food company and receive a fat salary. Do you know how much is the average salary of a microbiologist in the US? Well, microbiologists earn $71690 per year in the US. Now compare this average salary with the average income of a truck driver in the US. The entry-level salary of a truck driver is just about $45,000, whereas experienced drivers earn as much as $60,000 per year. Now, tell me who earned better, an educated man or a skilled man? I don't mean to say you don't need skills, what I am trying to say is your chances of earning become better if you are educated and have a degree.

Learning any skill is better than the famed college degree if a critical eye would be applied.

Without those people who learn, practice and offer the skills, almost nothing in our lives would get done. Carpenters, masonry, plumbers, mechanics, and fashion designers all have a very important role to play in making our day to day lives comfortable.

On an individual level, having personal skills grants one a sense of accomplishment and respect amongst your peers, especially when you become the go-to expert in that field.

Jobs are scarce too nowadays and many people have moved to being self employed. Having a skill can be handy if you find yourself stranded.

That's not to say that the degrees are not important though. I think it would work excellently if there was a way to make college degrees more practical rather than theoretical, or to make learning if a skill part of the curriculum. It should be an in-depth course, not a one or two semester thing that one forgets or gains no real knowledge from.

It definitely isn't a waste of time. The best thing to do is to learn the skill while still in school, but it's never too late. When I talk with young one these days they are all keen on going to school and bagging a degree. It's funny, because that is what I thought about too. What is the need of getting a skill when I am studying to get an academic certification? But I realized mistake way later. The best thing is to combine both, go to school and learn a skill too. It's not that hard to pull off if you are determined. But some people realize their mistake later on like me, it's not late for them though. Just make sure you are good in a handy skill, and it can be digital as well. It improves your overall worth especially in the labour market.

It is a waste because you have spent so much money trying to acquire the bachelor degree you are holding in your hand then at the end of the day you are not able to use it for anything tangible. I'll just consider that to be a lost .

But at the same time you have to put so many things into consideration , There is no need for us to be staying like that if we can't get any reasonable employment with the bachelor degree we have in our hands, as such learning a profitable skill that will help you make money will not be a bad idea after all this may not likely take a long time.

I always believe that there is no time to waste and we should try as much as possible to pursue anything that will help us to be stable financially as long as it is egit and legal.

It is not a waste and can never be, acquiring a bachelor degree doesn't stop you from learning a trade. How sure are you that you will get a good satisfying paying job with your bachelor degree knowledge? Acquiring a skill seems like the best decision one can make,no matter what degree you have. What if things go south in the future? How sure are you about getting a well paying job that is to your satisfaction. And acquiring a skill or rather learning a trade seems like a back up plan,a side hustle and means for more income if actually you put it to practice. My brother in-law has a bachelor degree and at the same time he does side business,and to me I think that is the best decision one can make and will never regret,infact it doubles your way of savings,and you have something to rely on if incase there is an emergency.