Is impulse Buying good?

Holicent

VIP Contributor
We've all been there. You're out at the mall, or on the street, and you see a really cool product or service. You walk up to it and say "I'd like one of those," but your wallet doesn't have enough change in it to make the purchase. But you keep looking anyway because you're curious about what kind of experience this thing can give you.

This is called "impulse buying." It's not only a common occurrence—we all do it at some point (or had someone else do it to us)—but also an important part of our shopping behavior. We don't buy something if we don't feel like we need it; we buy something because we know how much value it will add to our lives, and that makes us want to get it right away. Impulse buying is just another way of saying that human beings are inherently motivated by rewards (positive moods).

But there's another way: Repetition compulsion, also known as habit formation or over-consumption (which sounds more fun). It starts when you start doing something over and over again, making small changes each time until eventually everything feels just right. The whole process can take months or years depending on how long it takes.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Impulse buying most times end in tears. It sometimes turns out good but the majority of the time, it doesn't end well. You buy because of how you feel and feelings have never been a good determinant of decision-making. It has happened to me before. I went to lay in some money at the bank and all of a sudden, I turned to a cloth shop and beheld this beautiful piece of clothing. The design was great and I instantly became careless. The money I was with was strictly budgeted for something I enters the shop and the blue lights did not help matters. I asked about the price and it was overpriced but at that point, my feelings took over me. The more I looked at the cloth and the design, the more I was pushed to pay. I did pay and in getting home with the excitement to wear the cloth, I found out it was undersize. That's what impulse buying can do.

arunima25

Verified member
Buying or shopping can be impulsive in the beginning and might end up being addictive. Many studies have shown that shopping is a big distraction for many who are undergoing some mental and emotional turmoil in their lives. It can be a symptom of depression also
It's an era of consumerism and it's tough to escape it. Everywhere there is trap to lure the consumers...offers, discounts, sale...sales and marketing gimmicks are all over the place.
Impulsive buying might give some boost in mood and happiness for a short but then in long run, it definitely comes with more huge problems. And if you become addictive and go uncontrolled, you might land up in a huge financial crisis and even bankruptcy.
There has to be a financial discipline in life and one has to inculcate it from the very young age. It's tough to start with controlling your desires when there is so much to lure you. But people have to start it with conscious effort.. With time and consistency, it becomes a habit and comes naturally.
One has to find ways that suits them to control their desire for impulsive buying. Priorities your things in life. When you have an impulse to buy, think of your budget and the consequences that this purchase might bring. Unless needed and useful, nothing should be purchased even if it's on huge discount. In long run, it will stay unused and would be a deal of loss.

saoussen5765

Valued Contributor
Sometimes people purchase a lot of things like 3 jackets and 4 dresses and then 3 tee shirts with same purpose and what happens some clothes you just wear one time then you gave up and this is not something good. And when requiring the money for urgent sales or something essential you will find yourself run of funds, and the unused clothes may go one day to the trash as you are throwing your money from the window. This attitude should be changed over the time.

arunima25

Verified member
Impulsive buying actually defeats the purpose of being a smart buyer. And also the logical reasoning behind the buying is kicked out. A smart buyer will stick to financial budget and prioritise the list to be purchased. You would have your logic to see what you actually need, what you want and what you desire for though it's just useless. But if succumb to impulsive buying, the logic is lost and your priorities get totally messed up. And with the limited finance that we have, we soon find ourselves in a big financial soup.