How to Manage a Difficult Boss or Coworker

Phantasm

Banned
It is not easy to handle difficult managers or co-workers, but following some effective strategies can go a long way in building better working relationships and maintaining positive work environments. In order to deal with a hard boss; consider their perspective, choose the right moments for discussions, communicate effectively, ask for opinion, build trust, provide solutions that are helpful, set limits, be professional as always, maintain a record of the problems, seek advice from others and stay cool.

With respect to challenging colleagues; remain calm, define clearly your limits on what you can tolerate, focus on finding ways out rather than the issues themselves, try mediation out if need be document everything which annoys you about them Don’t talk about your colleagues involving any other people without escalating it further up and take care of yourself during such stressful times. If worse comes to worst then get out and think about your own well-being first.

Finally, use this experience to better navigate future obstacles. Keep in mind that it takes time and communication to manage difficult connections and find common ground. This will help in developing a good working environment and promoting good working environment.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Managing human in general is the most difficult task ever. You will not want to lose yourself to please others which majority of the people may want and at the same time, you will not want to please yourself to hurt others. This will make you find yourself in a tight corner.

But in an effort to make sure we deal with difficult boss, we need to make sure that we redefine ourselves and make ourselves so important. This will force the boss to like us since he knows we are vital to the running of the business.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
The skill of tolerating your inaccessible, rude or even jealous boss, or rude coworker is much encouraged through patience of you and emotional intelligence. Tackle the problems cooly and rationally with calmness and rush of passion. Encourage the sharing of both the civil servant's and the citizen's perspective through open conversation. Always professionalism try to avoid, always try to avoid escalating conflicts.Document problematic incidents. If problems arise, feel free to bring them up to your manager or HR. Be sure to suggest components that can prevent and treat issues while creating a good rapport among the team members.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Dealing with a difficult boss or co worker is not an easy thing, it takes so much intelligence and wisdom to go about it. I think it should start within you by taking care of your own emotions and reactions to how they treat you. When you can handle yourself, it is easy to handle another person.

With your own emotions intact, you know better than arguing with your boss or co worker. So you choose to be open minded, communicate effectively and draw the limits of how long you can converse with them.

When everything seems hard for you to handle alone, seek the mediation of another party. Preferably someone in a higher position than both of you.

SHAHID123

It remain very difficult to manage a difficult boss and coworker. Once in my career I faced both in one team. My boss name was Mr. Mushahid and difficult coworker was Mr.Adil Nadeem. The company was gsk when I just appointed there as a Medical sales Executive. The duration in between these two were most difficult time of my job, because of my extra performance both of them were after me. The Regional sales Manager was in my favour so my job remain secured. I was trying my best to talk both of them gently, to perform my duty but they were trying to upset me always. After sometime I changed my team and there I was in right hands.

Leah Kelvin

To manage a difficult boss or coworker, patience, diplomacy and effective communication skills are needed. Stay calm and composed, comprehend their viewpoint, set limits that are easily understood, choose your fights wisely, use "I" statements when talking, and ask for criticism to improve. This requires professionalism, empathy and assertiveness in order to navigate these relationships successfully. Producing communication that is productive; problem solving; and addressing major issues impacting productivity like morale or well-being is important. It’s possible to manage tough co-workers or bosses by having a sympathetic approach towards the hard situations.