How to handle the problem of long hours at work

Augusta

VIP Contributor
One thing is to get a good paying job another is to enjoy doing the job. One thing that is a constant factor with some good paying job is the long hours you would need to be at the job daily.

if after a while you would need a reduction in your job hours then the below tips should be helpful to you.

Start with approaching the HR, let them know you enjoy your job that you would like to stay with the company, but that your request is reduction in work hours.

Then you can present to your employer detail of your current schedule and a schedule that might work better for you

The next thing will be to state reasons for your request of reduction in hours. Don't forget to also include the benefits you would derived from your hours reduction

What do you think about working long hours and asking for its reduction

Etini

Valued Contributor
I believe that the best thing to do is to iron it out before you even take the job. Be assertive and talk about the time you are supposed to close from work. Don't leave things vague because anything you leave vague would assume any dimension it desires. Don't be excited about a job offer and forget to work out an important thing such as closing time.

In every place I work, I am always particular to define my closing time and know what it entails. Even if you ask me to work overtime, I would refer you to these terms we agreed on.

I remember a school I once taught in a school and the agreed closing time was 14:20. All of a sudden, the owner wanted to extend the closing time. I told him point-blank that I would not do it. He had to revert it. That's the beauty of having the terms of your employment defined and documented.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I agree with you a lot of times some employers just want to be funny because they are paying you for a job. At the beginning of a job you'll be given a favorable time to resume and exit everyday and they do this just for you to come in into the company or the work place but as time goes on it seems like an unwritten law everything will just change you no longer know when you are leaving you only know when you are resuming for the job in the day so as you rightly stated I believe every details of a job should be documented so that when there's a drastic change the document can speak for itself or the employee agreed to the time and the pay be increased.

some employers are just cheat they want to still use you and pay you the same amount of money that is not worth the time spent.

Heartstrings

There are some well paying jobs that some people won't mind the hours they spend on the job,so far the salary is good. I know someone who works 8am to 8pm. And also work on weekends some times,he enjoyed his job but then,he do complain about it's stress once in a while,he seems not to bother him much maybe because he doesn't have a family yet. If he leaves the job now,he won't be able to get a very good paying job easily again, considering the situation of the country now.

There are some jobs that they tend to change some rules when you are already deep into it,and believe you have no option to cope else you lose your job. In all,it is better to make it clear and simple in the beginning the closing time. If you think you can't handle long hours of work,then you shouldn't have a problem with reduction as well.

arunima25

Verified member
Long hours at a job, good paying or not so good paying, will definitely hurt the health in a long run and might come with more issues later. If you are passionate about the job, you might not mind the long hours in the beginning..If you don't like the job and do it just for earning, the long hours will start hurting you from the day one. Whatever be the situation, the results in long run would be stressful, taking a toll on your work life balance and coming with a toll on your overall health.
Before you talk about solving the problem, you need to introspect about the cause. Mong hours might result from many reasons
_ lack of time management
_ not handling the work smartly
_ distractions and unfocused hours at workplace
_ biting more than you can chew and swallow
_ working for extra monetary compensation

For these reasons, one needs to work at personal level and bring about strategies to ge effective at work life balance. And if you are working for more money at the cost of your health, you have to work on your financial goals.
Some causes might be from organization end like overwhelmingly you with tons if task. In that case, you can approach Human resources department and have a professional talk with them. It's a responsibility of every organization to take care of health and work life balance of their employees.