How to Decide Whether to Pay Off Debt or Save Money?

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
In order to decide whether you should pay off debt or save money, you need to first take a look at your current financial situation. This means calculating your monthly income and expenses so that you have a clear idea of where your money is going.

To calculate your monthly income, add up all the money you earn in a month from all sources, including your salary, any side hustles, interest on investments, and so on. Once you have your total monthly income figure, subtract any taxes or other deductions that are taken out before you receive your paycheck. This will give you your net monthly income.

Now, calculate your monthly expenses by adding up how much you spend in a month on essential costs like housing, food, transportation, and healthcare; debts and loan payments; and other regular bills and costs. Once you have your total monthly expenses figure, subtract any savings that you put away each month. This will give you your net monthly expenses.

Comparing your net monthly income to your net monthly expenses will give you an idea of whether you are spending more than you are bringing in each month or vice versa.

If you are spending more than you are earning each month, it may be difficult to make headway on paying off debt or saving money until you can get your spending under control. On the other hand, if you are earning more than you are spending each month, this gives you some wiggle room to either pay down debt faster or sock away some extra cash into savings.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I could remember a neighbor who was plagued with debts. It was during the covid 19 era. He owed about 3 people. These were funds he borrowed to do his wedding. I pitied this man's life. He welcomed a baby within that same period. I mean life was very difficult for the new couple. They had to rent out their apartment to help pay the debts because the people they owed never allowed them to drink water and drop the cup in peace.

Trying to answer your question about choosing to pay debts or to save, I would say that it depends on who you are owing and the nature of the debt. Some debts need to be paid as soon as possible without any option of savings. The people you are owing can make life a living hell for you if you don't pay them. About that couple at the beginning of this post, they have cleared all their debts and are very okay. The lesson I learned from them is that the beginning of things are always tough.

Rubz

I honestly don't think one should decide to pay off one's debt or save money. The obvious fact here, is that one should definitely pay off one's debt before even thinking of saving money. I don't know how one can have peace of mind saving when one is in debt. The thing is that one would later have to pay the debt sooner or later, then why not pay off the debt first before thinking of saving. If one decides to save, instead of paying off one's debt, it's possible that the person who lent one the money would just show up unexpectedly asking for the money and one would have to use from the savings or the whole of the savings to pay off the debt depending on the amount one borrowed. So why not just pay the debt at once and have peace of mind.

E

eldavis

I agree with the user above me, it makes no sense trying to save when you have debts to pay, in the end you would still have to pay the debt. What if its in a case where the more you delay paying the debt, they add more interest? Which means all your savings would go towards paying the debt in the end. It would be best to clear off your debts as soon as possible so you can freely focus on other things. This would also prevent situations where you might feel embarrassed or insulted. Like they say a good name and reputation is better than riches.

Shaf

Verified member
Why would anyone want to save money when you have debts to pay? Logic would say that it will be better to pay that debt faster, so you can have more time and luxury to save as you wish.

I do understand though that there might be debts you can't pay off immediately, like mortgage or student loans. Paying these back can take a long while and it's best to also save money as you are paying the loans back. Saving is necessary because emergencies cam come up anytime, and you might need to plan for things like vacations, weddings and welcoming a new child. You don't need to put those on hold just to pay long term loans.

If you find yourself really stuck between saving and paying a loan, you can decide to adjust your budget to give more room for both, but that means you will have to live frugally.

You can also get an extra source of income to help with one of the two.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
It is absolutely not a pleasurable activity if an individual is highly indebted to another. As far as I know, they have been records of individuals who have hundred percent lose their life and sanity as a result of being highly indebted to another. An individual can never have peace of mind to perform other voluntary activities especially when he or she is indebted financially to another. You cannot save money peacefully when you owe money to another. It is best to settle all your debts so that you can have the peace of mind that comes with saving money effectively and comfortably.

You should never feel reluctant or procrastinate when paying off your debt. Reluctant and procrastinated attitude toward the repayment of debt can totally lead to court cases and can also make an individual and enemy on the state of economy in which he or she resides in. If you are contemplating whether to repay your debt or to save money, it is hundred percent recommended to first of all repay your debt before actually intending to save money.

King bell

VIP Contributor
When it comes to your finances, there are a lot of choices to make. One of the biggest decisions is whether to focus on paying off debt or saving money. Both options have their pros and cons, so it’s important to weigh your options carefully before making a decision.

Paying off debt can be a great way to improve your financial situation. It can help you save money on interest payments, and it can also help improve your credit score. However, it can also be a challenge to pay off debt, especially if you have a lot of debt.

Saving money is another great option for improving your financial situation. It can help you build up an emergency fund, and it can also help you save for long-term goals. However, it can be difficult to save money, especially if you have a lot of expenses.

So, how do you decide whether to pay off debt or save money? Here are a few things to consider:

Your current financial situation: Take a look at your current financial situation. Are you struggling to make ends meet? If so, then it might be a good idea to focus on paying off debt. On the other hand, if you’re doing OK financially, then you might have more room to focus on saving money.

Your goals: What are your financial goals? If you’re trying to save up for a down payment on a house, then you might want to focus on saving money. On the other hand, if you’re trying to improve your credit score, then you might want to focus on paying off debt.

Your ability to save: Take a look at your budget and see how much money you have left over each month. If you have a lot of extra money, then you might be able to focus on both paying off debt and saving money. However, if you’re struggling to make ends meet, then you might need to focus on one or the other.

Your timeline: How quickly do you want to achieve your financial goals? If you’re in a hurry to save up for a down payment on a house, then you might want to focus on saving money. On the other hand, if you’re trying to improve your credit score, then you might want to focus on paying off debt.Your comfort level: Finally, it’s important to consider your comfort level. Are you comfortable with debt? If so, then you might be more likely to focus on paying off debt. On the other hand, if you’re not comfortable with debt, then you might want to focus on saving money.No matter what your situation is, there’s no right or wrong answer when it comes to deciding whether to pay off debt or save money. It’s important to consider your goals, your ability to save, and your comfort level. Ultimately, the decision is up to you.

Heartstrings

Personally I can never save money,when I have a debt to pay. I won't even feel comfortable and I will definitely feel guilty, considering my type of person. How do I even do it? I can only save money when if I have no debt to pay,no matter how little the debt is,I will pay it off. O e thing I always put at the back of my mind is that,death can visit one at any time and I don't wish to have much debts on my neck. It's amazing how some people owe much money and yet confidently don't want to pay, but yet same person is Saving daily.

The only way I can save money while owing a debt is if I am actually Saving up just to pay same debt. It is best I pay off my debt and have a peace of mind within myself than saving money.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Nobody should feel reluctant or procrastinate when trying to pay off debt. Reluctant and procrastinated attitude toward the repayment of debt can totally lead to serious financial crises

. If you are you are spending more than you are earning each month, it may be difficult to save money or be able to pay off debt The best bet will be to get your spending under control. So it better to get more money to pay down debt faster as you should.

Phantasm

Banned
Factors such as your financial situation, goals, and debt type determine whether you should pay off debt or save money. Prioritizing high-interest debt like credit card balances or loans is cost-effective. Creating an emergency fund is crucial when sudden financial setbacks occur. Comparing interest rates on debts with potential returns on savings is necessary. Employer matching contributions offer immediate returns on investment. Financial goals must be addressed, focusing on short-term savings while long-term ones like retirement necessitate a mix approach. Also important is gauging the psychological impact of debt on wellbeing. Tax implications have to be factored in with some debts being tax-deductible. Also, one should think about the opportunity cost of using funds to pay off debt versus saving or investing. Assessing cash flow can improve financial flexibility and future savings. A balanced approach may be appropriate.