Criterion you can use to decide your academic career

Carpon

Valued Contributor
As a student who is yet to embrace a career or choose one or even as someone who thinks he or she has made a wrong career choice it is still not too late to retrace your steps and find what best suits you career wise.
While choosing or selecting a career there is a galore of things that can be taken into consideration and now I will be sharing what I think are key in my own point of view in the choice of a career.

First and foremost you must understand your strength. You cannot be weak in calculations and choose the engineering field, it won't be suiting. So choose what your strength and build a career toward it.
Secondly be passionate about it meaning select a career which you have passion for.
Make sure you can use the knowledge to be self dependent not a type of career that you need to be employed by someone else
Also consider the payment because you won't want to work and get paid chicken change as salary.
Share more that you have with me in the comments. Thank you

Rubz

You've really said well. A student need to take into consideration all these things you mentioned above before choosing an academic career. It's funny how students jump into a career just because such career pays well without even thinking if they will be good at it or how parents force their children into careers they are not interested in. This is really bad. At the end of the day, these kids end up doing so poorly in these careers. One should check if one has a passion for a career before going into it. I've discovered that having passion for a particular job or career enables one to do well in that career or job. A student should also check if he or she would be able to cope with the working hours before choosing a particular career. This is because some careers like medicine or banking requires long working hours.

Etini

Valued Contributor
As someone that has taught and is still teaching, I would say that it is the responsibility of the teachers and parents to guide the youngsters on the academic path to follow. What do is that from SSS1, I start observing these students closely to see their areas of interest. They choose subjects in SSS 2. So I take their three-term results in SSS1 and see the subjects they comparatively did well and from there, weigh in their interests and advice on what I think could best fit them.

As a rule of thumb, if you are not good at calculations, don't consider going into science courses. If you are not good at reading and comprehending, do go into the arts courses. When you are in your field of strength, you would find it easy to navigate the academic journey. Another angle is those that are good both in calculations and reading, those should enter the area that interests them the most.