How to deal with an employee consistently late to work

Augusta

VIP Contributor
it is true that punctuality is the sole of any business, so to boost productivity in the workplace then all employees must turn up early in the workplace to take up their job role as early as possible.

But when it comes to humans they will be some that wouldn't comply to this. So how can you deal with an employee consistently late to work. Use the below tips to your advantage.

Address the situation early.
This is the first thing to do . Try to
make your expectations clear to the employee that such attitude wouldn't be tolerated by the management

Refer to a tardy policy.
Tell the employee to check the workplace policy again lateness to work and Don't forget to Integrate punctuality into a performance review.

Document conversations and interactions.Give praise for improved behavior if any to encourage change of habit.

Initiate a clock-in system.
This will be very helpful and maybe deduct the pay of those found turning up for work late.

Ganibade

Verified member
We know that punctuality is the soul of business but all employee does not know all this, they rather work as if it is their own business. They don't even bother to spoil and find their way to another company. To deal with employee that consequently late to work is to give a query to answer to explain why he normally late to come work whether their is a solution from the company.
if he still continue to late to work after several warning by company they should give him suspension of one week, after that if doesn't no change, they should remove from his salary a little amount to correct him for being late to work.
after several warning and query, if he doesn't change his attitude towards late coming to work, that means the company will sack him, because some employee that they are working the same company will look at his attitude and they will emulate it, this will spoil the business for the company if they use simple and to handle it.

Last edited:

Etini

Valued Contributor
It is not an easy thing to deal with a staff who is always late. It becomes harder when the employee is one of the best you have had. It happened in my workplace. This guy was good at the job but he always came to work late. Surcharges on his salary did not make the situation improve. It turned out that he had another business that he attended to in the morning before coming to work. The crazy part is that this business he ran very early in the morning paid him far more than the salary he was getting at work.

The management had no option but to manage with him. As a manager, I think I would find out about the particular condition of the person that makes him/ her come to work late. From there, I would apply appropriate considerations or sanctions as the case may be.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Sometimes you have to say something.
If an employee consistently shows up late, or even just a little late, it may be time to talk to them.

If the situation is chronic, there are several ways to handle it:

Set a specific time for everyone to arrive at work. Tell them that if they are late, they will be marked as tardy and given a warning. If they continue to show up late, they will be marked as absent and given a day off. Then you can decide whether you want to give them another chance or fire them for being unreliable.

If the situation is new and you haven't had much experience dealing with it, here are some things that might help:

Make sure your employees know that their supervisors will take action if they make mistakes like this one. Make sure everyone knows about what happens when people do make mistakes like this one - so no one makes the same mistake twice! Also, make sure people know who their supervisors are (and what their responsibilities are). Make sure everyone knows when their shifts start and end so that they can attend meetings if needed or call in sick if necessary.

cmoneyspinner

When the employee was hired they agreed to show up to work on time and work!

Talk to them and find out what the problem is. Maybe boss and employee can work it out. Maybe you can just adjust their hours from showig up at a later time to leaving work at a later time. This is assuming the employee is actually a good employee and does their work, even though they arrive late.

But if you're talking about a slacker. Fire them! It's not fair to the other employees who show up on time and get their jobs done.

Yusra3

Banned
I know this is a tough situation, but I wanted to give you a few tips on how to deal with an employee consistently late to work.

First, I think it's important that you don't make any assumptions about their lateness. It could be because they are trying to find something they need at the store or that they are waiting for their spouse to pick them up from work.

Second, try not to get angry at them or threaten them with disciplinary actions if they don't show up on time. This will only make things worse. Instead, tell them what time they are expected and ask them if they have any questions about when they should arrive at work.

Finally, remember that most employees are working very hard right now and may be unable to get out of bed in time for their shift due to illness or other personal issues. If this is the case then let's all try our best not to judge them for being late since we all have bad days from time to time!